Doctor insights on:
How To Tell Difference Between Wrist Sprain And Fracture
Exam and imaging: Wrist fractures may seen on standard x-rays and additional studies such as bone scan or MRI may be helpful sprains may be postivie finding in that here is no fracture but bones may be out of linel. A careful history and exam is also very important as you correctly implied it can be confusing so seek out so called experts such as a hand surgeon or orthopedic surgeon who specializes in han. ...Read moreGet help from a doctor now ›
Broken bone is also known as Fracture. A bone fracture is a condition in which there is a break in the bone. It can be caused by a high force injury or it may result from a previous medical condition that involves weakening of the bone. Common symptoms include severe pain, swelling of the surrounding ...Read more
Sometimes: Most wrist fractures can be treated with cast immobilizaton and will typically heal in about 6 weeks. Sometimes with a sprain one can develop different types of carpal instability which can lead to long term problems like arthritic changes. Swelling and pain. So sometimes a sprain can be worse in the long run than a fracture. ...Read moreGet help from a doctor now ›
Pain and swelling: After a fall type of injury you can injure your wrist. A fracture is a break in one of the eight small wrist bones. The thumb sided scaphoid is the most common to fracture and the most common to not heal. Any suspicion requires immobilization. A sprain is a stretch to a complete tear of the stabilizing ligaments. To miss this injury can lead to arthritis. All sprain need acute immobilization. ...Read moreGet help from a doctor now ›
An exam followed by : An appropriately selected xray is a good start. The wrist is complex and "sprains" arent necessarily treated all the same as the injury can be mild or complex/ even with a negative x-ray. A fracture can differ in its appearance just by varying the view of the x-ray so while a standard traum series of xrays helps rule out an obvious fracture there are many injuries that need special views/studies. ...Read moreGet help from a doctor now ›
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- How to tell difference between carpal bone fracture and sprain?
- How to tell the difference between norovirus and rotavirus?
- How to tell the difference between herpes and folliculitis?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- How to tell the difference between gonorrhea and chlamydia penis discharge?
- How to tell the difference between heat rash and allergic reaction in a child?
- How to tell the difference between eczema and ringworm?
- How could i tell the difference between a sprained and broken finger?
- Talk to a orthopedic surgeon online for free