Doctor insights on:
How To Tell Difference Between Wrist Sprain And Fracture
Exam and imaging: Wrist fractures may seen on standard x-rays and additional studies such as bone scan or MRI may be helpful sprains may be postivie finding in that here is no fracture but bones may be out of linel. A careful history and exam is also very important as you correctly implied it can be confusing so seek out so called experts such as a hand surgeon or orthopedic surgeon who specializes in han. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
A fracture is a broken bone. As there is cartilage at the end of many bones at the joint, a fracture may also include a break in the cartilage. Fractures and broken bones are the same thing. It seems that many believe that a "fracture" is a lesser injury or an incomplete break in the bone, but this is not correct. Fractures may be displaced or ...Read more
See a hand surgeon: An xray and a good clinical examination should easily be able to distinguish between the two. ...Read more
Sometimes: Most wrist fractures can be treated with cast immobilizaton and will typically heal in about 6 weeks. Sometimes with a sprain one can develop different types of carpal instability which can lead to long term problems like arthritic changes. Swelling and pain. So sometimes a sprain can be worse in the long run than a fracture. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Pain and swelling: After a fall type of injury you can injure your wrist. A fracture is a break in one of the eight small wrist bones. The thumb sided scaphoid is the most common to fracture and the most common to not heal. Any suspicion requires immobilization. A sprain is a stretch to a complete tear of the stabilizing ligaments. To miss this injury can lead to arthritis. All sprain need acute immobilization. ...Read more
See 2 more doctor answers
Broken bone is also known as Fracture. A bone fracture is a condition in which there is a break in the bone. It can be caused by a high force injury or it may result from a previous medical condition that involves weakening of the bone. Common symptoms include severe pain, swelling of the surrounding ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- How to tell difference between carpal bone fracture and sprain?
- How to tell the difference between norovirus and rotavirus?
- How to tell the difference between herpes and folliculitis?
- Canker sore vs. oral cancer?
- How to tell the difference between ringworm and impetigo?
- How to tell the difference between gonorrhea and chlamydia penis discharge?
- How to tell the difference between heat rash and allergic reaction in a child?
- How to tell the difference between eczema and ringworm?
- Talk to a orthopedic surgeon online for free