Doctor insights on:
How To Repair Torn Cartilage In Knee
Depends: It depends on the more specific nature of your problem. For example, some injuries may heal on their own, perhaps with some limited weight bearing, on the other hand, some cartilage injuries, such as a displaced menus cal tear may require surgery for repair or debridement. Your surgeon will be able to tell you much more about the specific nature of your problem. Thank you. ...Read more
In the knee joint there are two types of cartilage, articular cartilage and meniscal cartilage. The meniscus is a triangular shaped piece of fibro-cartilage that sits between the femur and tibia. The meniscus can tear as a result of injury or secondary degenerative changes that occur over time. Because the meniscus cartilage dies not have it's own blood supply, tears often ...Read more
Knee keeps giving out when walking w sharp pain. Had torn meniscus few yrs ago&had surgery to repair& remove floating cartilidge. What could it be?
Recovery variable: As you used the word "torn", i assume you mean meniscal cartilage. There ate two basic treatments: repair and partial meniscectomy. Repairs require time to heal and each type of tear repair has a unique time to heal . Partial excision only requires time for the joint to heal that is dependent on patient age, alignment, weight, muscle development and if any arthritis is present. ...Read more
If you have a torn meniscus, which is the cartilage in your knee, do you need to get surgery to fix it?
Cartilage is a specialized type of tissue found in joints and areas that two bones come together. It is made up of specialized cells that live in the midst of proteins and sugars that absorb and release water similar to a sponge. Healthy cartilage helps decrease friction in joints, absorbs shock and protects the ends of the bone. Degradation of ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- How to tell if you have torn cartilage in your knee?
- How long could it take to heal from surgery for torn cartilage in knee?
- How long can a minor cartilage tear in my knee take to heal?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- How can you tell if you have torn cartilage or a muscle in your knee?
- How could you know if you have torn the cartilage in your knee?
- How can you fix a torn cartilage in the knee?
- How to reduce knee pain from a torn cartilage?
- Talk to a sports medicine specialist online for free