Doctor insights on:
How To Prevent Impetigo
Yes: Impetigo is usually caused by staph bacteria. Frequent hand washing can decrease the amount of potentially dangerous staph bacteria on the skin surface and reduce the rate of developing impetigo. Completely avoiding exposure to staph bacteria is almost impossible. However, basic sanitation has been shown to reduce the risk. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Will antibiotics prevent impetigo? I’m on antibiotics for acne. Will this also prevent impetigo?
I have impetigo and wonder if i need the topical antibiotics in order to prevent scaring.I have oral and topical prescriptions but its$lots for topica?
Oral antibiotic only: Oral antibiotics should suffice.Get a more detailed answer ›
No: Impetigo is a contagious gram positive infection mostly due to staph aureus and/or groupa strep. It is usually very contagious and require prescription antibiotics to cure. Over the counter topical antibiotics often do not provide enough coverage against these bacteria. And, again, frequent hand washing and not sharing towels are essential to preventing further spread of the condition. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Usually none: Impetigo usually resolves completely with proper treatment. Without treatment, it can spread to other parts of the body. Scarring of the skin is uncommon, but can happen. When strep is the cause of the infection, a very rare kidney problem can develop. Taking antibiotics for the infection can help prevent these complications. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- How to prevent brown discharge caused by birth control?
- How to prevent itching after shaving?
- How long doesit take to treat impetigo?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- How to prevent ingrown hairs on your nipples?
- If mom has a cold how can i prevent my newborn from getting it to
- How to prevent peeing when laughing?
- How to prevent nose sweating?
- Talk to a dermatologist online