Doctor insights on:
How To Prevent Cerebellar Degeneration
Illness family: This is a group of thankfully-uncommon illnesses, almost all of them genetic, in which the principal cells of the cerebellar cortex die off over time. Generalized lack of coordination results. One is treatable with big doses of vitamin e but this does not touch the rest. The other entity to rule out is remote effects of a small lung cancer. Good luck. ...Read more
Exam & imaging: Any physician can spot the more-or-less symmetrical loss of coordination. Imaging studies will often show cerebellar shrinkage. A smoker needs to be checked for a hidden lung cancer that can damage the cerebellum remotely. Most of these have an associated damaged gene and a dna lab may discover it after the diagnosis of cd is finalized. ...Read more
The easy ones first!: If you want to learn about cerebellar degeneration, I recommend the book "Cerebellar Degenerations: Clinical Neurobiology." 512 pp, price new $487.83 at Amazon, but used only $474.08. If that's more brain/pain than you bargained for, try the NINDS Cerebellar Degeneration page at http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/cerebellar_degeneration/cerebellar_degeneration.htm. ...Read more
Little to offer: There is one uncommon form of cerebellar degeneration that is kept at bay by very large doses of vitamin e. A b-complex with c vitamin is sometimes given to anyone with brain disease. Beyond this, the primary cerebellar degenerations are progressive and incurable (the only real mimic is paraneoplastic cd). Love those around you & be sure they know of your wishes and needs. ...Read more
Cerebellar degen: See: http://www.Ninds.Nih.Gov/disorders/cerebellar_degeneration/cerebellar_degeneration.Htm.Get a more detailed answer ›
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- How to prevent joint degeneration of the knee in exercise?
- How to cure cerebellar degeneration?
- How to treat cerebellar degeneration?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- How to prevent itching after shaving?
- How to prevent your lazy eye from being obvious in picture?
- How to prevent ingrown hairs on your nipples?
- If mom has a cold how can i prevent my newborn from getting it to
- Talk to a neurologist online