Doctor insights on:
How To Prevent Blood Clots In Legs
If you have to stay still for a long time - is it best to elevate your legs -use chair postion or lie down horizontal to prevent blood clots ?
Stay active: Inactivity is a major risk factor for blood clots in the legs. Also, recent surgery, especially any kind that will make you immobile for a while is a common cause. Usually, surgeons will give medicine to prevent a clot, like heparin. Certain medicines like estrogen in birth control pills also can cause clots. If going on a trip, make sure to get up every hour or so and move the legs. ...Read more
No: There are no vitamins or natural therapeutics that will prevent or cure blood clots. Dvt's or blood clots in the leg are a serious condition and could lead to death if improperly treated. The only medications that help are the blood thinners like Coumadin (warfarin) and Lovenox (low molecular weight heparin). ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
No, probably not: While compressions stockings should help in the prevention of venous blood clots, their use should not hide or mask the signs and symptoms of a clot if one forms. ...Read more
You don't have to: Exercise(to prevent blood clots) but at least make the effort to get up and about, every hour. You can also utilize seated calf raises to help pump blood out of your legs. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- How to dissolve a blood clot in leg?
- How to detect a blood clot in your leg?
- How to get rid of blood clots in legs naturally?
- How to treat a blood clot in your leg?
- How to detect a blood clot in the leg?
- How to diagnose blood clot in leg?
- How to get rid of blood clots in your leg?
- How to tell a blood clot in leg?
- Talk to a hematologist online for free