Doctor insights on:
Piercing The Belly Button
Contact dermatitis: The most common cause i see for itching in that area is allergy to a metal, usually nickel. Most people wear a metal belt buckle, or have a metal snap and/or zipper on their pants, and if you're allergic to the metal in that buckle or snap, it will cause itching. Another possibility is that you may have gotten an irritating substance of some sort trapped inside your belly button. ...Read more
Navel: The navel is a scar where the umbilical cord was once attached. Around 90% of people have a depression (innie) ; about 10% have a protrusion (outie). It is reported that a protruding navel develops because of more abundant skin remaining after the umbilical cord is separated. If you have a new or large protrusion - that could be an umbilical hernia which would merit medical evaluation. ...Read more
Impaction?: People with deep 'innies' may slowly build up shedded old skin cells, bacteria and other 'lint' in the belly button (umbilicus), and it may become an impacted infected mass of material, that causes pain near the area, or foul odor, or abscess. That is one possibility. Of course, a careful physical exam should reveal the problem. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- How much to get your belly button pierced?
- How to know if your belly button ring is infected?
- How to get rid of a keloid on your belly button?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Blood in your belly button
- Getting a flat belly without gym equipment
- How to know when your belly button ring is healed?
- Losing belly fat
- Talk to a gastroenterologist online