Doctor insights on:
How To Know If Ovarian Cancer Has Spread
It is a cancer which arises from the ovary. This cancer is typically silent, producing little or no symptoms till it spreads, first into the pelvic area and later into the peritoneal cavity leading to fluid accumulation(ascites) which is often the first symptom. Despite its late presentation, there is a reasonable treatment for it, with some long term survivors even ...Read more
Pelvis & abomen: Commonly when advaced spreads in the abdomen affecting the peritoneum producing increased intra pelvic and abdominal fluid. As most cancers may spread to liver, lung, brain, bone. Most ovarian cancer produce symptoms only in advanced stages with nonspecific sensations of increased belly or intraabdominally discomfort. Ca 125 is not a screening test because of so many false positives and negatives. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
What are my chances of getting ovarian cancer? My aunt had something that spread through her abdomen but we never heard what it was before she died.
Can be helped: A radical resection of the omentum essentially removing the entire cake of tumor is performed eliminating vasucular permeability factor that leads to ascites. All peritoneal nodules are resected to smaller than 1 cm. and patient then placed on chemotherapy. Occassionally hyperthermic peritoneal chemotherapy lavage employed. Often patients may be cured if not helped in terms of survival. ...Read more
Depends on surgery: Ovarian cancer has a high incidence of metastasis. When it occurs surgical debuling is the procedure of choice. The omentum becomes involved due to presence of TGF-B producing caking and leading to ascites followed by diaphragm and small bowel seeding. Best results with total omentectomy and debulking to no lesion left that is larger than 1 cm or smaller. Chemo then can be effective. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- How do i know if the thyroid cancer has spread?
- How to know if the ovarian cyst dissolves?
- How do i know if my cervix has started to dilate early?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- How quick does stage 3 ovarian cancer spread if left untreated?
- How to know if ovarian cyst is dissolved?
- Is throat cancer curable if it has spread to the liver?
- How to know when a ovarian cyst has gone bad?
- Talk to a gynecologist online for free