Doctor insights on:
How To Check For Effacement
Being pressed on: This means the nerve root is being pressed on as it exits the spine. For example, it could be pressed on by a disc or by changes in the bones or ligaments related to arthritis. However, just because a scan may show the nerve being pressed on doesn't mean it is causing symptoms. This has to be decided after speaking with and examining the patient. ...Read more
Are you: referring to a spine MRI? The lateral recesses are regions along the sides of the spinal canal through which nerve roots run after exiting the dural sac. Effacement means that the space is compromised, usually by a disc or degenerative change, and the nerve root may be compressed. ...Read more
Can't say: specifically without more information or viewing the images, but it is likely referring to mass effect due to the downward displacement of the cerebellar tonsils through the foramen magnum seen in Chiari 1. Normally csf surrounds the cervical cord, the cerebellar tonsils in Chiari occupy this space and "efface" the csf space., so this can create an obstruction to normal csf flow or press on cord. ...Read more
I have moderate effacement and compression of anterior surface of cord at c-4-c6 . Also disc ht loss at t9-10 . Would this cause up back pain for 1 yr?
What does it mean that there is generalized disk/osteophyte complex with more focal central protrusion. This causes effacement of the ventral portion?
YOU HAVE A BACKACHE: From a combination of a disk and arthritic spurs, causing pressure on the cord and the nearby nerve(s) producing spinal stenosis (narrowing) of the spinal canal (trapping the nerves and the cord). Most likely resulting in back pain and leg pain/numbness/tingling in the leg or feet. Urinary/bowel symptoms may be present as well. See your orthopod/spine surgeon. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- How to check your stomach for pregnancy?
- How to check your uterus for pregnancy?
- How to check your cervix for pregnancy?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- How to check muscle power by using the manual muscle testing for wrist flexion?
- How to check for hernia in men?
- How to check for a stomach or colon cancer is the only sure way to get endoscopy?
- How to check for pregnancy without a test?
- How to check yourself for dilation and effacement?