Doctor insights on:
How To Calculate Prothrombin Time
Abnormal clotting : An abnormal prothrombin time means that there is something wrong with your blood's ability to form clots and prevent bleeding. There are many conditions that result in such an abnormality, and you need to have your doctor figure out what the problem is based on other test findings and your symptoms. Sometimes you'll need a hematologist to consult if there is a chance of a serious bleeding problem. ...Read more
Repeat test.: A shortened clotting time that does not appear to reflect technical error has been associated with an increased risk of thrombosis, recurrent thrombosis, recurrent miscarriage, or bleeding, and may increase the risk of thrombosis associated with other common thrombotic risk factors (eg, factor v leiden, obesity, increased levels of d-dimer). ...Read more
Blood clotting: Thrombocytopenia means low level of blood plateletes. Prothrombin time is a test for extrinsic coagulation pathway that is initiated with factor vii. Vitamin k deficiency or use of Coumadin or liver function deficiency will prolong the prothrombin time, while several blood clotting diseases that affect intrinsic coagulation such as von willibrand or hemophila will not affect prothrombin time. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- How to calculate the calories burned on an elliptical from your miles your time?
- How to calculate the time of a hiking trip using naismiths rule?
- How to calculate conception date with irregular periods?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- How much time does allergic dermatitis take to go away?
- How to calculate my safe period?
- How to calculate ovulation after a miscarriage?
- How to calculate bmi for big boned people?
- Talk to a hematologist online for free