Doctor insights on:
How Soon After Taking Antibiotics Can You Have Alcohol
What kind infection?: Alcohol impairs the ability of the body to respond to infection, slowing down white blood cells and hurting their ability to eat up and kill germs. In addition, alcohol can reduce our immune response so that we don't make proper antibodies to germs. If you are talking 1-2 drinks per day, it wouldn't matter. If you are talking about more, DON'T. ...Read more
Unnecessary: Although alcohol while in the blood stream may inhibit some functions of white blood cells, assuming the antibiotic you are receiving is one which is appropriate to the situation it should make no practical difference in the outcome of your infection. Now if you are otherwise immunocompromised that may be relevant. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Not worth it: Without knowing what antibiotic you are on and what for, I would recommend that you refrain from alcohol consumption while you are on antibiotics. Depending on how the specific antibiotic is metabolized, the alcohol may either increase or decrease the amount of the antibiotic in your system. Please wait until your antibiotic course is over before starting to drink alcohol again. ...Read more
Possible reaction: Some common antibiotics, like metronidazol (flagyl), trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazol (bactrim), and tinidazol (tindamax) can cause severe flushing, headache, nausea and vomiting, and elevated heart rate when combined with even a little alcohol. In general, the side effects of other antibiotics are similar to those of drinking, and might therefore be worsened by consuming alcohol. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- How long after taking antibiotics can one drink alcohol?
- How soon after taking antibiotics for pinkeye can i wear contacts again?
- How long after having the flu shot can you consume alcohol?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- How long after taking dayquil can you drink alcohol?
- How soon can you have a miscarriage after conception?
- How soon can you drink coffee after having heart valve surgery?
- How long after taking antibiotics can you get cdiff?
- Talk to a infectious disease specialist online