Doctor insights on:
How Rare Is It For Teens To Get Blood Clots
Flow/vessels/protein: Clots can form when: blood flow slows or stops, a blood vessel wall is injured or components of your blood support or promote coagulation. We are always clotting and unclotting a little. When one of the factors noted above tips the scale there is rapid propagation of clot. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Rare: But following the treatment regiment is key to prevention. For low risk surgery early movement (walking) is the most important advise. For larger surgery where you remain in bed for a while, medications and leg pumps may be used for prevention. Getting up and out of bed as early as possible is still important however. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
The real issue: As dr. Mahajan said, hormones can increase risk but the real issue on a long flight is movement. If you are on a long flight and don't move, you have an increased risk of getting a blood clot, whether you are male or female. Wearing graduated compression stockings (not teds) can help but the most important thing you can do on a long flight to decrease you chance of getting a clot is to move. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Probably ...: The most worrisome blood clots form in the veins of the legs and can travel to the lungs causing a pulmonary embolism. Also blood clots that form internally and can travel to the brain causing a stroke are life-threatening. A number of inherited clotting disorders exist, and a hematologist can clarify the diagnosis. Review with your primary care doctor and ask for a referral. Good luck! ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- How rare is it for a teen to get oral cancer?
- How rare is it for a 12yo to get oral cancer?
- How unusual is it for a normal teenager to get oral thrush?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- How common is it for somebody to get epiploic appendagitis?
- What is the average time it takes for blood to clot?
- Is it normal for teens to sometimes get spots on their penis not sexually active?
- How likely is it for a grown man to get oral thrush?
- Talk to a pediatrician online