Doctor insights on:
How Much Of The Population Is Affected By Muscular Dystrophy
Estimated incidence: Estimated incidence is approx. 1 in 4, 000 male births. ...Read more
Difference between duchnne & becker muscular dystrophy. Can becker m d discovered in early childhood?
Muscle disease: Muscular dystrophy is a worsening disorder that causes muscle weakness. The worst kind is duchenne's dystrophy, that affects only boys, leads to severe weakness, and wheelchair needs, breathing difficulties in the teens. Milder forms can present later or not cause as much disability. These are genetic (runs in families) disorders. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
The muscular: dystrophies (MD) are a group of > 30 genetic diseases that cause progressive weakness and degeneration of muscles. Age of onset, distribution & extent of skeletal muscle weakness, rate of progression, cardiac & smooth muscle involvement & pattern of inheritance differ. Duchenne MD affects 1:3500- 1:6000 male births/year in the US. See http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/md/detail_md & mda.org. ...Read more
It is different: It is different from one person to the other and what type of muscular dystrophy the person has. Some patients have a mild form of the disease and some of the muscular dystrophies can be associated with heart involvement and breathing difficulties, so it could be serious. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- How many people are affected by muscular dystrophy?
- Who is affected by muscular dystrophy
- How many types of muscular dystrophy are there?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- How long do people with muscular dystrophy live?
- How many different types of muscular dystrophy are there?
- How does a person get duchenne muscular dystrophy?
- How does muscular dystrophy affect the muscular system?
- Talk to a neurologist online