Doctor insights on:
How Many Shots To You Get If You Got Bit And No Animal To Test For Rabies
Rabies is an infectious disease caused by a virus. The most common carrier in the U.S. is infected bats. Symptoms of rabies include an initial flu-like illness followed by increasing paralysis, agitation, and confusion. The classic drooling symptom is due to an inability ...Read more
My friend was bit by a raccoon while attempting to get it out of her garage. Should she get rabies shots?
Depends: Did you provoke the cat? If so, and the area of your town/city has no known rabid animals over the past year, then it's unlikely. However, get the cat to the vet for his vaccine; the cat may need to be quarantined for a few days, to ensure it doesn't have rabies- though inconvenient, it is more humane than cat euthanasia followed by brain biopsies to check for rabies. ...Read more
I was bit by a lil stray cat 8 months ago(no visible blood at the wound), couldnt take rabies shot then, can i take them now? culd i still get rabies?
Fortunately: you are well beyond the infectious period from an animal bite you received 8 months ago. Rabies immune globulin after bite exposure is very rarely given after 3 months. It sounds like what you should consider is the 4 dose series of rabies vaccine to help prevent rabies should you unfortunately be bitten again by an infected animal. Good wishes:) ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
I was bit by a (2 month old)stray cat 8 months ago(in India), couldnt take rabies shot then, can i take them now? could i still get rabies?
Take the vaccine now: The incubation period averages 1 to 2 mo but may be >1 yr. May still be worthwhile giving the vaccine even though quite late. Chances are the cat was not rabid but never delay vaccines when indicated. And if in doubt always consult a local doctor or your own in the US. Good luck! ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Where do you get rabies shots for humans
- How long does a rabies shot protect you?
- If you had anti rabies vaccine before do i have to get it again if my dog bit me
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- How do you get rabies from bats?
- Can you get rabies by being in the same room with a rabid animal work for vet?
- How many days do you get a positive ovulation test?
- How long do you have to get treatment for rabies?
- Talk to a pediatrician online