Doctor insights on:
How Many Days Should You Stay Home From School With Pink Eye
Until it is gone: Pink eye, or epidemic keratoconjunctivitis, is the most contagious condition known. It is casued by the cold virus, and as you may know, once one person gets a cold, everyone with close contact will get it also. Similarly, as long as you have symptoms of pink eye (red, irritated, with tearing) you are contagious and can easily pass it along. Wait until all symptoms are gone before going back. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Depends: Most "pinkeye" or conjunctivitis is actually viral, so antibiotic eye drops are usually not effective. Viral conjunctivitis tends to run it's course in 7-10 days. It can be very contagious, spreading from one eye to the other or to other people. Hand washing is essential. To be certain it is not a more serious bacterial or fungal infection, you should see an ophthalmologist. ...Read more
School rules!?: Depends on school rules. Some make you stay home until you've taken antibiotics for at least 1 day. Doesn't make sense since most pink eye is caused by viruses, which antibiotics don't treat. But school rules are rules. Otherwise, you can go to school. You're contagious as long as your eyes are goopy or you cough/sneeze. Be nice. Cover your mouth/nose. Wash hands. A lot. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Pink eye: Bacterial conjunctivitis can be appropriately treated with antibiotic eye drops or eye ointment. I usually recommend keeping the child home until he has received 24 hr to 48 hr of antibiotics. ...Read more
2-3 weeks: Usually pink eye or viral conjunctivitis is a self limited infection that clears up in 2-3 weeks. Most medications are supportive and are used during the period of a few weeks. It is considered most infections for the first week. Check with your doctor as they should give you instructions on when to stop the medications. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- How many days do i have to stay home from school if i have pink eye?
- Should you stay home if you have pink eye
- Should you go to school with pink eye
- How long should you stay home with the flu?
- How long should you wait before using new makeup after pink eye?
- How many days after your last dose of clomid should you ovulate?
- How long should my eyes stay dilated after a visit with an eye doctor?
- How long should i wait to wear contacts with pink eye?
- Talk to a urgent care specialist online for free