Doctor insights on:
How Many Calories Do The Morbidly Obese People Eat
Is it safe to eat 1000 calorie a day for weight loss regime? I'm 5'5, female, and morbidly obese (240 pounds) I also work out the gym an hour a day
Depends: With proper supervision by a health care profession it is okay but if you are doing this on your own it is not safe. You want to reduce calories per day through a good diet and exercise regimen. If you can burn more calories per day while on a healthy diet you will lose weight. Goal weight loss no >0.5-1lb/week. Talk to a physician or a nutritionist to help you through this process safely. ...Read more
A calorie is the amount of heat energy needed to increase a mililiter of water 1 degree centigrade, the calorie we talk about in foods is really a kilocalorie, that is the amount of energy needed to increase a liter of water 1 degree centigrade... So if you eat a food that is 500 calories that food if burned completely has enough energy to heat a liter of ...Read more
Hello, I waned to know if a 1000 calorie while exercising is safe. I'm 238 and morbidly obese. I'm a female as well?
David L. Katz, MD: Please take a look at book by david l. Katz, md. He uses an holistic approach to weight management and overall health. There are so many diets out there; the one you can stick to and slowly decrease weight is best. Dr. Katz can provide good info for you. Please see your doctor first. This will provide the safest and best way to better health. Congrats on your motivation. Peace and good health ...Read more
How much weight could I lose a week eating 1000 calories a day? I'm 5'5, female, and 240 (morbidly obese) I also workout a hour a day at the gym
Varies: Amount of weight lost is based upon the calories burned verses the calories taken in per day. For example, if you burn 2500 calories per day and taken in 1000 calories per day you will lose approximately 1500 calories. If you assume 3500 calories to burn each pound of fat, then you will lose about 3 pounds of fat per week. ...Read more
I'm severely morbidly obese at 490 pounds. I'm a woman who is 5'7" and 24. How many calories should someone obese like me start eating to lose weight?
Why is it that I'm not hungry in the evening until I have something to eat-then I just want to eat & eat? Am morbidly obese. Hunger signals messed up.
I'm obese and 5'5 and weigh 241. If I eat 1000 calories a day how much weight will I lose? Is this safe? (I will not be doing this long term)
Weight Loss: Weight loss speed depends on your general medical health (do you have any medical issues), the amount of exercise you do, & what you eat (ie, Stay away from carbs & eat plenty of veggies). Consult with us to be sure you are doing this safely for you. ...Read more
1600 calories a day: It is hard to give an answer without knowing more about the individual patient's weight, height, and activity levels. In our research trials, we advise men to eat a 1600 calorie diet and then adjust the diet based on weight loss and exercise. This should cause weight loss of about 2-3 lb per week. ...Read more
Severely obese, will I lose more weight if I only eat half my calorie allowance like 1000 and still work on my treadmill 20 mins a day?
Need both: If your appropriate calorie intake is 2000 calories/day, reducing this by 500 calories/day will result in weight loss of a pound/week (3500 calories=one pound) Cutting more calories will result in more weight loss. BUT, cutting too low, & 1000 calories per day is near the too low point, may lower your metabolic rate and curtail weight loss. Burning calories through exercise will also be necessary ...Read more
Is it ok to reduce calorie intake? I am obese and want to reduce to 1200 cals a day. I will eat small meal throughout the day. No health issues
Go slow: As a weight loss surgeon. I commend you for your goal of getting healthier. I highly recommend that you don't limit your calories too much as this will cause your metabolic rate to slow down and it becomes much harder to lose weight. I highly encourage your to add some degree of consistent exercise to your weight loss regimen. ...Read more
I am currently 231 lbs and 5'4". I have tried everything to lose weight. I am obese being at 100 lbs overweight. I eat fine and portion control. My calorie intake daily is 1400 and I exercise 30 minutes every day. When I do nothing I stay the same weight,
Motivate them: Its very hard to change someone's behaviour unless they want to. However I think having a positive influence, showing them how healthy food can be yummy, exercise can be fun or just moving around can be may motivate them to make a change. Also emphasizing their improved quality of life. Berating someone or negative talk most likely will not lead to any real change. They have heard it before. ...Read more
If there's a will there's a way. Watch "biggest loser" for some motivation!
if it were easy, everyone would be thin. ...Read more
Liposuction: Liposuction is not an alternative to weight loss. Liposuction is a good option for those stubborn areas of fat around certain areas such as the buttock, hips, arms, legs, waist, abdomen, or even the neck/chin. A tummy tuck or even a body lift may be a suitable option for medium to larger-sized individuals. The surgeon will discuss all of the options during consultation. ...Read more
Small steps: Significant weight loss starts with small weight loss. Set smaller, 5 lb goals and achieve many of these through daily cardiovascular exercise. This is as easy as a 30-40 minute walk daily. Be persistent and you will succeed. ...Read more
Yes.: Virtually any weight loss program will result in weight loss for someone who is morbidly obese over the short term. This could include something as easy as tracking calories, walking more or as elaborate as getting a personal trainer/chef or joining a health club or weight watchers program. The most important thing to consider is whether the weight loss will be sustainable over the long run. ...Read more
RIGHT TO WORRY:
Morbidlyobese adds problems to life and predisposes to many unnecessary illnesses after time. It isn't just diet; usually there are difficulties in living in other areas. Encourage her to talk with her dr. Go with her to support her.
You can't fix her problems, but you can help her do it if she'll let you. ...Read more
I've been morbidly obese most of my life & have a buffalos hump. I'm eating extremely healthy to lose weight. Will the hump go down as I lose weight?
Yes: Yes, keep up the good work!Get a more detailed answer ›
Vaginal: Vaginal delivery is still considered to be the safest option for most mothers depending on the particulars of her pregnancy. Morbidly obese gravidas, for a number of reasons, have about a 30% chance of needing a cesarean section. The good news is that 70% will deliver successfully vaginally. ...Read more
I have psorisis I've been using floticazone cream for months is there anything else I an do? Uv lights is not an option im morbidly obese.
Why are so many healthcare workers morbidly obese when they were the knowledge and resources to correct this?
Many factors: I agree with dr. Michael jones. Behavorial change is possibly one of the hardest thing to train and maintain. It's much simpler to sit down and eat a tasty meal from a restaurant than to spend time cooking things from scratch that might not taste as good. People do things that make them feel good and often time, those are things that are not too good for you healthwise. ...Read more
My friend (morbidly obese) wants to try lean gains (intermittent fasting) to lose weight. I am concerned for her. Is this safe or even healthy?
Fasting: Fasting is never a good way to lose weight. It generally slows your metabolism and contributes to the yo-yo effect of losing weight and regaining it back plus more. There really isn't anything healthy about fasting. Conversely, eating multiple (3-5) meals (healthy & small portions) is better for your metabolism and weight loss (but you have to exercise too). ...Read more
I keep gaining weight like crazy and I am constantly hungry. I am morbidly obese... I have very bad willpower what do I do?
Treat depression: Are you a new mom? That is very difficult for someone your age. It is also hard to find motivation to lose weight when you are exhausted. But you need to find time for yourself. This is not just about willpower, it is about how you feel about yourself. Talk to your doc or someone you trust about, how, you feel. That is a good start. ...Read more
Any concerns for morbidly obese woman with no health issues to follow 1000 cal diet 5 days a week and fast 2 non consecutive days?
At risk for diabetes - family history. Am morbidly obese, trying to lose weight. How do I not have diabetes now? What trips the switch? Age a factor?
Diabetes: There are many factors that contribute to a person developing diabetes. No one could explain why you don't have it now, but you certainly are at a high risk of developing diabetes given your family history and being obese. Cut out the carbs, sugar, soda, junk food in your diet and try to exercise regularly to lose weight. ...Read more
My daughter is 36, retarded and morbidly obese and has been her whole life and I'm sure that 90% of this is not due to diet. How can an endo help her?
Endocrinologist: Endocrinologist are specialist who take care of your organs which make hormones, needed for normal growth. Definitely they would help in your case. ...Read more