Doctor insights on:
How Long Until I Can Be Active Again From A Dislocated Shoulder
3 to 6 months: For patients with a first-time dislocation that is treated without surgery, a period of immobilization followed by a course of therapy can lead to good results unless the shoulder redislocates depending on the severity of the injury regular activities can begin by three months with more aggressive sporting activities at 6 months. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
A glenohumeral dislocation occurs when the head of humeus displaces in relationship to the glenoid fossa. Most glenohumeral dislocations occur when the humerus slips forward (anterior) on the fossa. A disocated shoulder must be reduced, & a post-reduction x-ray is necessary to check for any fractures/ ensure proper realignment. Dislocations may also cause soft tissue ...Read more
2-3 weeks: Assuming there are no fractures or muscle/ligament tears, it is usually about 2 weeks in a sling followed by gradual movement and activities. If you are having problems moving your shoulder at 3 weeks from a first time dislocation you need to see a physician. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
6 - 8 weeks: For a first time dislocator without other issues (i.e. No fractures, nerve damage, or recurrent shoulder subluxations on x-rays) you are typically in a sling for the first week or so. Then you should start range of motion and strengthening with a therapist. Most people do well and can get back to activities. But, if you still have feelings the shoulder is slipping you may need further testing. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
4-6 weeks: Unfortunately if you have 2 or 3 dislocations in the same shoulder it may be a more complicated problem you may have an underlying instability issue which may need to be addressed i would try 4-6 weeks of rest and then rehab but if it keeps happening you might need surgery. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- I recently dislocated my elbow how long will it be before i can do pushups again
- How long until i can have sex after a salpingo oophorectomy?
- How long after a corneal abrasion can i start to wear contacts again?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- How can i relieve pain from being a wheelchair too long?
- How long until i can drive again after endoscopy?
- How long can i have swelling from a knee sprain?
- How long will it be after my tonsillectomy until i can eat real food?
- Talk to a urgent care specialist online for free