Doctor insights on:
How Long To Heal Ruptured Spleen
Perhaps 6-12 months: Most ruptured spleens are due to trauma, in which case most of the time they are surgically removed. You can live without a spleen, though it does have some impact of immune function. Iron storage (also done in bone marrow and liver), and old red blood cell destruction (life of an RBC is 100 days). Must avoid any contact sports or further trauma to that area (left upper quadrant of abdomen). ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
At least 3 months: We recommend to maintain precautions for at least three months, and in high risk patients (like someone playing contact sports) to obtain a repeat scan before being cleared to resume the risky activity. ...Read more
Depends: Will take 4-6 weeks if surgery was not done. ...Read more
Medical Care Needed: The spleen is a very vascular organ and, though well protected by the rib cage, is susceptible to blunt trauma. Minor injuries may usually be managed by "watchful waiting", but rupture can lead to life-threatening bleeding. In the past, this meant splenectomy. Nowadays, we can often stop the bleeding nonsurgically by internally closing off the bleeding vessels via interventional radiology. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Depends: Most of the time ruptured spleen is a result of significant trauma and the abdominal pain would be very noticeable, and the person is evaluated and diagnosed quickly in an emergency room setting. But, I have also seen torn spleen that ruptures days after a neglected injury in someone who did not seek medical evaluation immediately after a significant traumatic injury. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- How long does it take to heal a ruptured spleen?
- How long does it take for a ruptured spleen to heal?
- How long does it take to heal from a ruptured spleen?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Ruptured spleen heal treatment
- If my spleen ruptures how long will i live
- How long hospital stay is required for a ruptured spleen?
- How long does it take to heal a torn spleen?
- Talk to a trauma surgeon online for free