Doctor insights on:
How Long To Die From Carbon Monoxide
Same as from a fire.: :) co displaces 02 (oxygen) from the hemoglobin on red blood cells so they cannot transport oxygen to the tissues of the body. Co binds much more tightly, so takes a long time to come off on its own. Roughly speaking, the body is asphyxiated by lack of available oxygen to the cells that need it. ...Read more
You Fall Asleep: Carbon monoxide binds to hemoglobin in red blood cells much stronger (with higher affinity) than oxygen does. Once it gets into your system, it starves your body of oxygen, and you fall asleep. If you're already sleeping, then you slip into an even deeper sleep. Eventually, all your hemoglobin is tied-up with cm, and there's no room for oxygen to enter your bloodstream. This is why you suffocate. ...Read more
Not long: Carbon monoxide has a high affinity to the hemoglobin molecule, not allowing the oxygen molecules to bind. Exactly how long before one gets carbon monoxide poisoning depends on many factors including the health of the individual exposed and the concentration of the carbon monoxide. Avoid exposure by never burning anything inside a house (bbq, etc.). ...Read more
Exposure: Since carbon monoxide binds stronger to the hemoglobin molecule than oxygen, the presence of any level of carbon monoxide in your environment will eventually poison you if you do not remove it (or yourself). Combustion like burning gasoline, or other fuels can create it and if this is in a poorly ventilated area, it will linger and rise to toxic levels. ...Read more
Ventilation: Only if there is impaired exhaust of the products of combustion can a room develop co accumulation and the possibility of poisoning. Ventilation should always be to code to prevent this from happening. If you are concerned have a certified hvac technician evaluate you particular circumstance and recommend solutions. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Very little : Co is very toxic and can lead to death quickly. ...Read more
Hard to say: The body is able to tolerate the low level exposures to CO over time with no specific hardship.Any study of its potential effects is hampered by overlapping bad habits of smokers & the inability to isolate cause/effect in a scientific study.It is well known that there are dozens of toxic chemicals released in the smoke, besides the nicotine. Over time the negative consequences of these toxins kill ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Lack of oxygen: Carbon monoxide has a tighter bond to the bloods hemoglobin molecule than oxygen to the point it displaces it. If a person is in an setting where there is some oxygen but a high concentration of carbon monoxide, the oxygen will be displaced and the body doesn't get the oxygen. The effect is the same as having no oxygen available. They suffocate. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Depends: The duration of symptoms depends on the concentration of carbon monoxide in the blood stream, the duration of exposure and how quickly you are removed from the carbon monoxide environment. ...Read more
Depends on severity: Mild or moderate symptoms can last from less than an hour to many hours, depending on the severity of the carbon monoxide (co) poisoning, the type of treatment, the victim's other health issues, etc... Studies show the half-life of carboxyhemoglobin (co bound to hemoglobin) to be about 4 hours (3-5 hr) when breathing regular air, and about 1 hour (30-90 minutes) when breathing 100% oxygen. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Typically not: While this is possible, proper ventilation and maintenance should prevent carbon monoxide from forming and building up. A home carbon monoxide detector can help make sure you are not in danger. ...Read more
Paint: Some types of paint contain volatile organic compounds which can be carcinogenic. The major product that I am aware of that can specifically injure the brain is lead based paint (eating or inhaling small chips). ...Read more
Keep aerated: Carbon monoxide is a product of burning of fuels. Make sure the area where the fuel is being burned, heat stove would be a common example, is well ventilated and the ducts are sealed in the pipes. It would also be adviseable to get a carbon monoxide detector. ...Read more
Oxygen Toxicity: Normal room air is 21% oxygen. That will not hurt you. Diving with 100% oxygen can cause some respiratory problems. Prematures on extra oxygen can develop serious eye problems. Hyperbaric oxygen, for a long time (maybe 12 hrs or more) can hurt you. Most of these situations will not kill you. Also severe fires are accelerated by excess oxygen, so smoking on oxygen has killed people. ...Read more
Depends: Open windows and ventilate well. Fans make it faster. ...Read more
It does not: Exposure to pain does not kill brain cells as far as I know !? ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- How long do the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning take to go away?
- Long term carbon monoxide poisoning
- Carbon monoxide poisoning long term effects
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Long term effects of carbon monoxide poisoning to the kidneys
- How long does it take to die from hypothermia?
- How long to die from kidney failure?
- How long will it take to die from clonazapam?
- How long should carbon monoxide poisoning last?