Doctor insights on:
How Long Should Volvulus Last
Until it Resolves: Volvulus describes 180 (+) degree twisting of the intestine, causing a bowel obstruction inevitably leading to necrosis or rupture unless it resolves, either spontaneously, by endoscopic or radiologic decompression, or surgical rx. The best method depends on the location & cause of the "twist" and the stability of the patient. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Can severe long term bloating damage the intestine permanently? Does it cause diverticular, volvulus or adhesions? Thank you
No: Volvulus is twisting of the intesting and, in general, if not untwisted within 6 hours, the bowel will die. There are children with a chronic volvulus that is tolerated. It is not acceptable to leave a volvulus untreated. The basis for it is a condition called malrotation. The intestine does not rotate properly in utero, a setup allowing it to twist at any time. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Rarely: Volvulus is a twisting of the GI tract. It can occur at the stomach level, small bowel and proximal colon or the sigmoid colon. Some activities such as laxative abuse may predispose to volvulus. Oftentimes volvulus occurs due to congenital non fixation of the intestine. Any frequent severe abdominal pain associated with bilious (green) vomiting needs prompt evaluation. ...Read more
Distention, pain: Volvulus can occur in different parts of the GI tract including stomach, small intestine and different parts of the colon. Symptoms are from obstruction (blockage) causing distention/swelling and nausea/vomiting and from ischemia (lack of blood flow) causing pain. All types of volvulus are emergencies & need to be diagnosed & treated asap. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- How long does lethargy associated with volvulus last?
- How long does vomiting associated with volvulus last?
- How long does vomit color associated with volvulus last?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- How long does abdominal distension associated with volvulus last?
- How long does abdominal pain associated with volvulus last?
- How long should airsickness last?
- How long should farsightedness last?
- Talk to a pediatrician online