Doctor insights on:
How Long Should Spinal Meningitis Last
Spinal meningitis: Long term effects of spinal meningitis are related to how severe the infection was to the patient. A mild or even moderate infection can leave no long term effects. In the more severe and prolonged cases of meningitis the effects can be potentially severe. Early and aggressive antibiotic therapy is key to reducing long term effects. ...Read more
Depends: Meningitis means inflammation of the tissues around the brain and spinal column. When caused by infection transmission from person to person depends upon which organism is the causative agent. Neisseria meningitidis (meningococcus) may be highly communicable with close contact. Epidemics seen in institutions, military training camps, schools and within family units. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Susceptable/exposed: A variety of germs that cause meningitis can be carried by healthy folks in their nose& throat & these folks never get ill. They can pass it on to their environment thru secretions or droplets of a sneeze. A susceptable person then acquires the germ and it invades their system, often thru the sensitive linings of the nasal passages.We're not sure why some get sick & some don't. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Dangerous: In the elderly, the flagrant fever, stiff neck, etc, may be relatively absent or minimal, and perhaps only the acute onset of confusion and disorientation, with headache, may be witnessed. However, as insidious as the presentation may be, a bacterial meningitis by even a bug such as listeria, can be deadly, without appropriate antibiotics. ...Read more
Not common: Fortunately it is not common and with the introduction of the vaccine it has become even less common. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- How long should inflammation of the spinal cord last?
- How long should aseptic meningitis last?
- Around how long should swelling from a sprained ankle last
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- How long should bruising last after having a blood test taken?
- How long should anal fissure last?
- How long should a fat necrosis breast lump last before healed?
- How long should frostbite last?
- Talk to a neurologist online