Doctor insights on:
How Long Should Sickle Cell Anemia Last
Sickle cell future: As we better understand sickle cell disease, we hope to increase the quality of life for those affected by this disease. It is essential for those who have this disease to see a physician who specializes in sickle cell. For those with very severe disease, bone marrow transplantation may offer a cure. For others, screening and healthy lifestyle choices will help manage their disease. ...Read more
This is a genetic disorder in which hemoglobin is abnormally made., more common in people of african descent. This abnormality causes red blood cells to become stiff and fall apart. This can cause very specific symptoms: pain, pneumonias, strokes, spleen problems, and many other problems. Some have mild disease, some ...Read more
Is anemia always present in sickle cell anemia? And for how long can i experience pain without this being a crisis for sickle cell?
They call it sickle: Cell anemia because, indeed, patients essentially all have anemia. The anemia actually improves the rheologic (flow) properties of blood in these patients, whose rbcs are otherwise rigid with reduced degrees of freedom for deformability. Sickle cell pain occurs due to microvascular occlusion and tissue compromise. Oral opiates/ nsaids may provide relief, but IV opiates may be needed (pain crisis). ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Should tell your doc: It is important to tell your doctor that you have sickle cel anemia as sickle cell anemia can be complicated with crisis episode ( pain crisis, acute chest syndrome, stroke etc) that requires complex management. So, call you roctor and tell him/her about it. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- How long does a sickle cell crisis last?
- How long does blood in urine associated with sickle cell trait last?
- Long term effects of sickle cell anemia
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- How did sickle cell anemia originate?
- How does sickle cell anemia affect the victim?
- How is sickle cell anemia related to protein?
- Complications of sickle cell anemia
- Talk to a hematologist online for free