Doctor insights on:
How Long Should Short Cervix Last
How short?: Short cervix only matters when it comes to pregnancy. If cervix is < than 2.5 cm long, there is increased risk of prematurity. Your OB can check for funneling of membranes into cervix early on, and after 24wks, do a test called fetal fibronectin. If this is positive and you have short cervix, your risk of prematurity is much higher, and your doctor may want to implement steps to reduce risk. ...Read more
Depends: The only time that would be an issue is during pregnancy. During pregnancy a woman who is known to have a short cervix should be followed closely for the development of an incompetent cervix - that is usually accomplished by performing serial trans-vaginal ultrasound measurements of the cervix and allows for considering a cervical cerclage if the cervix is found to be shortening further. ...Read more
Your O.B.'s decision: Cervical cerclage ('putting a string around the cervix) in order to prevent 2nd/3rd trimester pregnancy loss is a clinical decision usually based upon history of prior early pregnancy losse(s). You must decide if the cerclage procedure (w/ low complication rate) is worth the risk or the risk of losing the baby is greater. Congrats on the baby! ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- How long should laceration of cervix last?
- How long does short term disability last?
- How long should airsickness last?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- How long should candidiasis last?
- How long should volvulus last?
- How long should kernicterus last?
- How long should carsickness last?
- Talk to a gynecologist online for free