Doctor insights on:
How Long Should Infected Insect Bite Last
Insect bites are from mosquitos, spiders, flies, ticks, and other species that use their mandibles (jaws) to attach to a person or other animal. They can then suck blood out of their "prey" and leave saliva proteins that cause itching and swelling. Other insect species, like bees, yellow jackets, wasps, hornets and fire ants actually inject venom into their prey and can not only cause localized pain and swelling, but severe, acute allergic reactions in ...Read more
Depends on Severity: If the degree of inflammation is mild, topical polysporin (bacitracin and polymyxin) three times per day may resolve the infection. However, for a bite that has pain, swelling, redness, warmth, and/or a yellowish exudate, consultation with a physician for appropriate treatment including systemic antibiotics is indicated. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Pain, redness: An infected insect bite will get more painful and redder as time passes. The area involved will also increase, and it may swell and start to drain. Warm compresses can help you clear the area over time; most minor skin infections don't need oral antibiotics, but if it's not improving with home care you might, so see your dr if it doesn't clear on it's own. ...Read more
Yes: If you think you have an infection then you should see the doctor. ...Read more
A insect sting results in an injection by a specifically designed structure of an organism and usually contains chemicals that can cause all sorts of responses, some toxic. Whereas a bite can also contain chemicals which cause all sorts of reactions but comes from the mouth parts which may be fangs or other teeth or large mandible components or simply be part of the ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- How long does rash on back associated with infected insect bites last?
- How long does excoriations associated with infected insect bites last?
- How long does rash associated with infected insect bites last?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- How to tell if an insect bite is infected?
- How to treat infected insect bite?
- How long should flea bites last?
- How to treat infected insect bite quickly?
- Talk to a dermatologist online