Doctor insights on:
How Long Should I Wait After Having Sepsis Before Donating Blood
Feel full strength: When you feel strong enough, essentially. If you had anemia associated with your episode of sepsis, you may need to wait several weeks or months before your bone marrow recovers enough. If you didn't, you can donate as soon as your strength is back to normal - as assessed by others. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Sepsis is a condition in which a person has a blood infection, usually caused by bacteria. The bacteria get into the bloodstream and are spread all over the body. The infection plus the immune system's response to it causes the symptoms of sepsis, which include fever, rapid heart rate, rapid breathing, high white ...Read more
Usually next day OK: The phlebotomist / nurse will instruct you as you are being bandaged at the end of the process to avoid tobacco for a few hours, alcohol for the day, heavy lifting (--or strenuous activity--) for 8 hours or until the next day, etc. If you will be using your arms a lot, might be wise to put a bandaid over puncture site, but should be ok by next day. ...Read more
Steven: 3 weeks should do itGet a more detailed answer ›
Supposedly blood pressure may fall due to a systemic infection (a long the lines of sepsis). What is the reason for this?
Toxin release: Many bacteria are capable of creating chemicals that act as toxins, disabling the system the blood vessels have to maintain tone (or the squeeze) within their walls. Once the vessels relax the pressure falls.Doctors have medications that counteract this effect that are called pressors agents. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
After being discharged from 6 days in hospital with severe sepsis, I'd like to donate blood but I'm not sure if I'd be able to after a blood infection?
Bad idea: Severe sepsis is extremely hard on your body. The American Red Cross, I believe would not allow you to give blood under these circumstances. I would wait for awhile and give your body a chance to recover. If you still want to donate blood in 2 months then go ahead. the ARC wants healthy blood in order to help other patients get better. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- How long should i wait to donate plasma after having a colonoscopy?
- How long should i wait after therapy before getting pregnant?
- How long should i wait after drinking before ambien?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- How long should i wait to have sex after female circumcision?
- How long after having pneumonia should i wait to get the pneumonia vaccine?
- How long should i wait to have sex after a lithotripsy?
- How long should i wait to have sex after a miscarriage?
- Talk to a transfusion specialist online for free