Doctor insights on:
How Long Should I Expect To Stay In The Hospital After Continent Ileostomy
Depends: A patient can go home in as little as 24-48 hours after an ileostomy. Many factors are involved such as the underlying reason for the ileostomy, method of creation (open vs laparoscopy), patient age, social support at home, other procedures at the same time, etc. The most important determinant is the resumption of normal bowel activity. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Not for ulc. colitis: If the ileostomy was done for rx of ulcerative colitis that wasn't responding to meds, then not needed. May need occasional meds for symptomatic rx, e.g. Antidiarrheals. Joint issues, eye issues, skin issues often resolve after removal of the colon. Liver issues may not. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Yes: It takes another surgical procedure.Get a more detailed answer ›
Hernias may form: Yes, it is possible to develop a hernia around the stoma if you do anything that uses your abdominal muscles since the ileostomy goes through the rectus muscle. A hernia may develop around the stoma site. I would definitely limit the amount of weight you lift at a time and try to limit the use of your rectus muscles if possible. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Koch + J S W pouch: This is a complex subject and i understand your confusion. The conventional continent ileostomy is called a koch pouch and its opening is located on the abdomen. Other surgeons have described a variety of other procedures where the end is attached to the rectum using an lido-anal pull through technique with a pouch formed using a variety of configurations known the j, s, or w pouch modifications. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
How should I decide when it is time to have continent ileostomy, especially if colitis is controlled?
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- How long do i have to stay in the hospital after i have bariatric surgery?
- After a splenectomy how long will i need to stay in the hospital
- How long hospital stay after stent?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- How long should i expect to have blood in my pee after having a prostate biopsy?
- How long should i stay on a clear liquid diet after a diverticulitis attack?
- How long do patients have to stay in hospital after mastectomy?
- How long do patients generally stay in the hospital after gallstone operations?
- Talk to a gastroenterologist online