Doctor insights on:
How Long Should Eyes Stay Dialated After Exam
Had eyes dilated for exam. Why do my pupils still stay so big for such a long time afterwards- even after my vision returns to normal?
Usually 6-8 hours: It depends on what type of drops are used. Phenylephrine and tropicamide are probably the most commonly used at the optometrist or ophthalmologist's office and they last about 6-8 hours in the average person, although they can last a bit longer. Other drops like cyclopentolate last up to 24 hours and Atropine can last for 14 days. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
What to do if I had an eye exam by an optomotrist that dialated my eyes to look in them. how long will they stay dialated?
Pupil dilating drops: Usually last for 4-6 hours after they are instilled. Depending on the patient, the drops may last longer, especially with people who are blue-eyed. In addition, some dilating drops are known to last longer. We try to avoid them whenever possible so the drops wear off more quickly. ...Read more
My friend's eyes remained dilated long after her eye exam, so her dr put drops in her eyes to reverse it. When should the 2nd drops begin to wear off?
I had an eye exam by an optomotrist that dilated my eyes to look in them. How long will they stay dilated?
Typically: 2-4 hours, although longer can occur.Get a more detailed answer ›
Depends on the med: Several different medications can be used to dilate the eye for peripheral retinal examinations. They have different durations of action from 2 hours to 2 weeks. The most commonly used drug, mydriacyl, is 1/2 gone in 2 hours, and 3/4 gone in 4 hours on average. Some people are especially sensitive to the meds, especially if you have light blue eyes, and can remain dilated for 36 - 72 hours. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Pupil dilating drops: Usually will last for 3-4 hours after your exam. Occasionally, some patients' pupils are extremely responsive to dilation and the drops could last up to 10-12 hrs. ...Read more
14-yr-old son. Had eye exam today, drops were given. One eye dilated much more than the other, and is taking longer to contract. Is this normal?
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- How long should your eye stay dilated after an exam?
- How long should my eyes stay dilated after a visit with an eye doctor?
- How long should eyes stay dilated for after the eye doctor?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- After hernia surgery how long should you stay out of work
- How long after an eye exam should i wait to look at a computer screen?
- How long should my son stay out of school after a broken elbow with surgery?
- How long should my eyes stay dilated?
- Talk to a ophthalmologist online for free