Doctor insights on:
How Long Is The Typical Healing Process For A Broken Hip In An Elderly Person
The hip joint is a ball and socket joint where your femur meets the pelvis. Most hip fractures occur with falls in the elderly or motor vehicle accidents. The most common would be fractures of the top part of the femur bone and the femoral neck or intertroch region. Less common fractures are socket or acetabular fractures. Avulsion of muscle ...Read more
Excellent!: The two main types of hip fractures are neck and intertrochanteric or below-the-neck fractures. Neck fractures are fixed by replacing the hip ball. Intertrochanterics are fixed with a plate or rod and a large screw. Most all elderly men and women return to their previous level of activity. "walkers" start walking again one day after surgery. Exception: those with senile dementia may not. ...Read more
See below: Usually surgery, but sometimes immobilization depending on the location within the hip. ...Read more
Geriatric hip fx: The fracture itself isn't what is life-threatening but the events following the fracture and immobility are. Being immobile and elderly leads to pneumonia, DVT, PE, MI, etc. This is why it is critical to treat a hip fracture surgically within 48 hours of the fracture to reduce morbidity and mortality as has been proven in multiple studies. ...Read more
We visit an elderly man bedridden after a hip fracture. He complains of pain in his legs. Is it thrombophlebitis i?
Unlikely: Throbophlebitis is not that painful he needs a complete examination by an experienced orthopaedic surgeon. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- How long after a broken hip surgery will a person be permitted to walk?
- Healing process of a broken bone
- Broken clavicle healing process
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- How long typically is the healing process of tubal ligation?
- How long is the healing process after tubal ligation?
- Elderly broken hip
- What is the typical healing time for a broken arm?
- Talk to a geriatrician online for free