Doctor insights on:
How Long Is Pink Eye Contagious For
Viral or bacterial?: If your pink eye issue to a bacterial infection, you should no longer be considered contagious after 24-48 hours after starting the antibiotic drops. If, however, your pink eye is due to viral infection, you are likely to be contagious for as long as you are having symptoms. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Discharge: You are contagious as long as you have any discharge, even with antibiotic ointment or drops. Don't touch or rub your eyes. Use a tissue to clear away any discharge, throw the tissue away, and wash your hands. When you wash your face and eyes, use a white hand towel to dry then bleach the towel. Change and wash your pillow cases daily. Sanitize your door knobs and purse to help prevent reinfection. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Until the eye clears: Antibiotics are usually prescribed for pink eye, but many cases are viral which is not affected by antibiotics. Therefore, it is best to wait until the eye discharge has resolved before sending a child back to school. Adults can return to work within a few days. Hand hygiene is always important as many cases of pink eye (conjunctivitis) are transmitted by hand contact. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
As long as: There is a discharge.Get a more detailed answer ›
49 days: The most common cause of pink eye is adenovirus. If you have this, studies have shown the virus can survive for up to 49 days on hard surfaces. People tend to still actively shed the virus for a few weeks after the symptoms have gone. Disinfect with lysol and wash your hands frequently during this period. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- How long is pink eye contagious for after start of antibiotics?
- Using erythromycin to treat pink eye
- How long is pink eye contagious after starting eye drops?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- How long is pink eye contagious when using an antibiotic?
- How long is pink eye contagious in adults?
- How long after starting antibiotic is pink eye contagious?
- How long is pink eye contagious after antibiotics started?
- Talk to a urgent care specialist online for free