Doctor insights on:
How Long Does Vomiting Associated With Pertussis Last
I have pertussis (whooping cough) and after i eat, i start coughing which makes me want to vomit. Should i?
Yes: One of the key symptoms of pertussis is episodes of coughing followed by nausea like symptoms and or vomiting. As pertussis is severe infection with lot of mucus body tries to eliminate the mucus by vomiting and if you feels then should vomit. Take adequate rx for pertussis. It may take weeks for symptoms to improve sometimes if infection is severe. F/u with md. Best wishes. ...Read more
Well, it can't...: ...Last longer than a few minutes, because death occurs after that. ...Read more
5 days: Once a baby has been diagnosed with pertussis, the normal treatment is Azithromycin (zithromax). One is considered contagious until one completes the 5-day course. After that your baby will not be contagious, even if he/she is still coughing. The cough can go on for awhile. Hopefully this was not because of missing vaccinations, which are quite effective at preventing pertussis in children. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Short of breath upon any exercise (not strenuous) in 26yo f? Many bouts of pertussis and bronchitis as child, 11 years since last. Non smoker. Causes?
1-3 weeks: Actually 5-21 days.Get a more detailed answer ›
My ob said today I should not let any adult around my newborn who did not have pertussis vaccine. Agree? How long before baby protected? 2mos? 4?
Clarification: Centers for disease control recommends that mothers recieve tdap between 26-37 weeks pregnancy and that all household contacts- parents, siblings, grandparents and babysitters are immunized. Your infant has maximum protection after their booster shot (4th shot in series). It is estimated that household members account for 80% of infant pertussis infections. Flu shots for family members also wise. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- How long does post tussive vomiting associated with pertussis last?
- How long does hoarseness associated with pertussis last?
- How long does vomiting associated with thalassemia last?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- How long does vomiting associated with sepsis last?
- How long does vomiting associated with listeria last?
- How long does vomiting associated with herpangina last?
- How long does vomiting associated with cytomegalovirus last?
- Talk to a pediatrician online