Doctor insights on:
How Long Does Scabies Last After Treatment
Depends: In true scabies the mite dies after it is exposed to treatment (permethrin) fairly soon after treatment. However, and this is the gross part, the major reaction is to the scabies droppings left behind. This material is very irritating and causes the characteristic itching one experiences. This particular symptom can take weeks to "cool down" and may require topical or even oral steroids. ...Read more
Problem is Scabies: Can be transmitted indirectly as well as directly. Thus- it can be the gift that keeps on giving. Scabies can take effort to get rid of. 1st, you &all members of family need to be treated. Ivermectin is effective for treating scabies (oral or topical). 2nd, you’ll have to clean (ie. Hot water in machine) clothes, bedding &towels you have come in contact w. Some things like pillows can’t go in >. ...Read more
Better: Better to have 2 treatments one week apart. ...Read more
Scabies: Although sometimes referred to as the "seven-year itch, " scabies can be effectively treated with killing of the mite sarcoptes scabiei, preventing cross-contamination from a close contact and/or clothes/bedding sheets. Sometimes pruritus may be secondary to postscabetic dermatitis which in turn is secondary to the skin reaction to the scabies infestation that persists after effective eradication. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- How long does the scabies rash last after treatment?
- After scabies treatment how long does the itch last
- How long does scabies last with treatment?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- How long do scabies symptoms last after treatment?
- Duration of chlamydia after treatment
- How long does excoriations associated with scabies last?
- How long does crying associated with scabies last?
- Talk to a dermatologist online