Doctor insights on:
How Long Does Poison Sumac Rash Last
What does my dad have, poison ivy, poison sumac, or poison oak rash? Or, do the rashes all look identical?
Red areas: Irregular red plaques in areas of exposure with vesiculization. ...Read more
Treatment: Treatment for allergic dermatitis caused by poison sumac is Benadryl (diphenhydramine) or other antihistamines such as vistaril, steroids such as prednisone, and histamine-blocking medications such as tagamet. If you have worsening rash, any shortness of breath, or feel light-headed then you would have to be seen as an emergency. ...Read more
I have poison sumac on my face. Are the correct steps to put neosporin cream (neomycin and polymyxin b) on the rash and bandage it?
Can't: It has to run its course, however topical Benadryl (diphenhydramine) and/or cortizone cream may reduce reddness and symptoms. Oral steroids may be required for larger or more severe outbreaks, possibly along with antihistamine & h2 blocker to reduce symptoms. You've got it for about two weeks. Sorry! ...Read more
The itch can be unbearable I know!
There are lots of things going on in the skin during the cleanup process involved with healing after an inflammatory assault. An orchestrated soup of our biochemical mediators are working hard restoring your skin back to the way it was. ...Read more
Multiple possible: There are multiple homeopathic remedies which might help, depending on your most prominent symptoms. For instance, anacardium or rhus tox may help if the rash itches intensely and improves with very hot water. If it's worse from heat and there's lots of swelling, apis may be best. If there are thick crusts with moisture and oozing, maybe graphites. See a homeopath to differentiate yours! ...Read more
Not even close:
Poison Sumac can cause a rash (contact dermatitis) in sensitive people. Look at pictures
http://www. Poison-sumac. Org/
Pokeweed is more common and doesn't cause a rash. It has purple berries that will stain your skin. It is toxic to animals and people when eaten But, some people will eat the leaves on a salad when prepared right. Look at pictures
http://en. Wikipedia. Org/wiki/Phytolacca_americana ...Read more
No cure, get treated: (toxicodendron dermatitis) aka: poison ivy/oak/sumac causes an itchy blistering reaction of varying degrees in almost everyone who contacts it and fails to wash it off immediately. Seeing a doctor is highly recommended because oral steroids for about 3 weeks in a tapering course will dramatically improve this condition in a few days. Topical soaks to dry the blisters is also helpful. Good luck. ...Read more
Poison sumac: Signs and symptoms of a poison ivy or poison sumac rash include: redness, itching, swelling, blisters, often, the rash looks like a straight line because of the way the plant brushes against the skin. But if you come into contact with a piece of clothing or pet fur that has urushiol on it, the rash may be more spread out. ...Read more
Poison ivy: Signs and symptoms of a poison ivy rash include: redness, itching, swelling, blisters, often, the rash looks like a straight line because of the way the plant brushes against the skin. But if you come into contact with a piece of clothing or pet fur that has urushiol on it, the rash may be more spread out. ...Read more
Apply a wet cloth, or soak the area in cool water.
Use calamine lotion to help relieve itching.
Try not to scratch to avoid a skin infection.
Do not use the following medicines. They can cause allergy problems of their own:
Antihistamines applied to the skin such as diphenhydramine (found in Benadryl cream, spray, or gel).
Topical anesthetics with benzocain or topical antibiotics with neomycin. ...Read more
Subtle reaction: This reaction is triggered after a sensitizing oil, the rhus antigen, transfers to the skin after direct or indirect contact with the sumac plant. (or poison ivy, oak) it does not produce immediate effect but itching usually start by 6-8 hours & breakout by 18 hrs. If not removed by a good soapy washing, the oil can be spread by the itching to any site the fingers then touch. ...Read more
Wikipedia: The articles in wikipedia are very well written and referenced. ...Read more
See your doctor: Because the area is so sensitive, you should start taking some benadryl (diphenhydramine) or Zyrtec. But unless it's very mild, see your doctor and ask about getting some prednisone. Prednisone is an antiinflammatory steroid that will help shorten the course of your illness. Topical steroid creams might be irritating on the area where you have the rash. ...Read more
My dad got poison sumac yesterday and went to the doctor today. Should I be worried I may get it from him if he took a shower yesterday?
Very rare: This is very rare but the same precautions used with poison ivy apply. The oil that causes the skin reaction can be transmitted from one part of the body to another or to another person. It is not contagious. If he took a good soapy shower most if not all of the oil should be gone. ...Read more
I have a severe case of poison sumac/ivy/or oak and I'm treating it with steroids--is this standard?
If its bad -then yes: Most poison ivy is a contact dermatitis - that means there is a local reaction to the oil where it touches your skin. However, some people actually have a true allergic reaction as well - where many things in the body happen and release chemicals in the body causing the more severe reactions. If usual anti-allergy things don't work (ie antihistamines, etc), then steroids are used to settle things. ...Read more
Difference in leaf: The poison ivy is leaf is composed of three parts on the same level each the shape of an arrow head. See www. Poisoncontrol. Org on their plant section for a picture. If you flatten the sharp edges and make the leaves rounded like a pin oak you have the poison oak. The sumak is a long multipart fron that resembles more of a fern than a regular plant leaf, its small leaflets are similar ti the ivy. ...Read more
Look on-line.: Plenty of pictures on-line.Get a more detailed answer ›
What is the diffrence between poison ivy poison oak and poison sumac? Can you be allergic to one and not the other?
Poison ivy, poison oak and poison sumac are members of the plant genus toxicodendron. Exposure (brushing on clothes and the skin) any of them causes a rash called allergic contact dermatitis.
Poison oak is most common west of the rockies, poison ivy to the east, and poison sumac in the southeast. ...Read more
Cold milk compress: Depending on the severity mild cases can be treated with cold milk compresses, easing off the plant material. And shake lotion. Over the counter poison ivy products to neutralize the chemical are available. For more severe extensive cases oral steroids can relieve and resolve the case. Use ivy shield as a preventive in suspect areas. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor online
- How long does poison sumac last?
- Duration of poison oak rash
- How long does rash associated with poison oak and poison ivy last?
- How long does poison ivy last on skin?
- How long does poison oak last?
- How long does poison ivy last?
- How long does rat poison last?
- How long does rash associated with miliaria last?
- How long does a poison ivy rash last?