Doctor insights on:
How Long Does It Usually Take To Recover From A Stroke
How long does it take to "recover" from a stroke to the point where no more improvement is expected?
Uncertain: In patients who recover fully, it may take as little as a couple of weeks, or it may be several months. However, some frontal temporal strokes result in permanent damage and these individuals will not fully recover. It depends on how much brain tissue is affected. ...Read more
What is "full"?: A full stroke would best be defined as fatal. There is no such thing but there are completed strokes in which the full extent of the damage has already been realized. Stroke recovery depends on many things including age, co-mordities, life-style support systems (family, friends etc) and a person's determination to overcome the stroke. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Although the first f: The first few months is a significant predictor for the level of stroke recovery. However, recovery can continue over a much longer period of time. In fact there are some strategies that take advantage of neurologic plasticity for a sub group of patient to facilitate further recovery even years after the initial event. Evaluation and guidance by an appropriate medical specialist is critical. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Left or right: Every stroke is unique, with effects dependent upon many factors including physical fitness, co-morbidities, size of brain tissue injury, rapidity of onset, mechanism of onset. Recovery may come in days, weeks, years, or never. If the stroke involves the dominant temporal responsible for speech prognosis is worse than for equal sized non-dominant temporal lobe stroke, other things being equal. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- How long does it take to recover from a stroke?
- How long does it usually take to recover from viral pericarditis?
- How long does it usually take to recover from carotid endarterectomy?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- How long does it usually take someone to recover from leg amputation?
- How long does it usually take to recover from a torn acl?
- How long does it usually take to recover from eye strain?
- How long does it usually take to recover from a tonsillectomy?
- Talk to a urgent care specialist online for free