Doctor insights on:
How Long Does It Usually Take To Get Back Biopsy Results
Two days to a week: If it is a routine histological examination by the pathologist it will take less than 48 hours. It takes one day to fix the tissue and the next day the slides are examined under the microscope and the pathologist dictates it out. It could be as early as 48 hour or more than a week if you need special stains performed. ...Read moreGet help from a doctor now ›
A few days: Depending on what the biopsy is for, the initial results (gross micro) will come back in a few days. If the biopsy is for something more specific like tumors, infection, then the permanent results can take up to a week depending on additional stains or final culture results. ...Read moreGet help from a doctor now ›
It's complex: Lymph node biopsies often require additional types of testing compared to other biopsies. In addition to looking at the cells under the microscope, the cells often need to be analyzed using specialized techniques. Sometimes molecular testing is also performed. All of these pieces are integrated together making the process a little longer than other biopsies. ...Read moreGet help from a doctor now ›
~48hrs: Most basic pathology results from a biopsy should be available in ~48hrs. The tissue needs to fix in formalin for a particular amount of time (6hrs-overnight) then be processed, slides made and stained, then interpreted. Each of these steps takes time. Additional staining or deeper cuts for furthe evaluation/markers may add another day before the full results are back. ...Read moreGet help from a doctor now ›
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- How long does it take to get results back on tongue biopsy?
- How long does it take to get std results back?
- How long does it take to get thyroid biopsy results?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- How long does it take to get the bone marrow biopsy results?
- How long does it take to get the results of a breast biopsy?
- How long does it take to get mammogram results back?
- How long does it take to get dvla medical results back?
- Talk to a pathologist online for free