Doctor insights on:
How Long Does It Usually Take A Metacarpal Fracture To Heal
A fracture is a broken bone. As there is cartilage at the end of many bones at the joint, a fracture may also include a break in the cartilage. Fractures and broken bones are the same thing. It seems that many believe that a "fracture" is a lesser injury or an incomplete break in the bone, but this is not correct. Fractures may be displaced or ...Read more
How long does it take a small hairline fracture take to heal in metacarpal area of hand in an active 25 yr old?
I fractured my fifth metacarpal and was given a cast for 3 weeks. i was wondering how long it would take after the cast is off to return to sports.
Varies: usually healing is 4-6 weeks. allow about 2 weeks to get full range of motion and strength. Then you can play again ...Read more
Fracture in the base of lower metacarpal on right hand. How is this treated and how long would it take to recover?
Splint, 6 weeks: Fractures of the metacarpal are common, but usually not serious. Typically a plaster, fiberglass, or plastic splint are used to rest the injured area. Fractures take around 6 weeks to heal. However, since we use our hands so much, it is difficult to rest them completely, and they seem to bother us much longer than injuires in other areas. ...Read more
? Boxers' fracture: The commonest fracture of the 5th metacarpal is that of it's neck and is also known as the boxers' fracture. It can be easily handled as an office procedure by your hand surgeon. Other fractures may need surgical repair by placing plates and screws. Average healing time is usually 6-8 weeks but for a lot of hand fractures the splint/cast is only half that time and then rehabilitation is started. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Is it broken or fractured is a question I am often asked. The answer is basically that a broken or fractured bone is the same thing. A fracture means a break in the cortex or the strong layer of outer bone cells. In an adult the average time for that to heal varies greatly but is often considered to ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- How long will a metacarpal fracture take to heal?
- How long does it usually take a radial fracture to heal?
- How long does it take to heal broken metacarpal bones?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- How long does it usually take a radial head injury to heal?
- How long does it usually take a pressure sore to heal?
- How long does it usually take for a groin muscle injury to heal?
- How long does it usually take for a herniated disk to heal?
- Talk to a orthopedic surgeon online for free