Doctor insights on:
How Long Does It Take To Recover From Donating Blood
Usually < 24 hours: Donating blood is a great thing for the community but occassionally one sometimes experience mild side effects from donating. One can experience lightheadedness, dizziness, weakness, and tiredness. These symptoms nearly always resolve within 24 hours, faster if you stay very hydrated and don't skip any meals. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Blood donation: It takes anywhere from about 30 to 60 days for red blood cells to be replaced by the body after donation. Plasma is repleted by the body after about 3 days. ...Read more
Usually next day OK: The phlebotomist / nurse will instruct you as you are being bandaged at the end of the process to avoid tobacco for a few hours, alcohol for the day, heavy lifting (--or strenuous activity--) for 8 hours or until the next day, etc. If you will be using your arms a lot, might be wise to put a bandaid over puncture site, but should be ok by next day. ...Read more
Resubmit Q: You should not bruise after or because you donated blood or blood components--your body has more than enough cells to control leaks, and while you may bruise at an injection site (where needle was), it is not 'mandatory'--this is why the blood bank wraps the site and tells you to keep it on for at least 4 hours. ...Read more
Will I have to take an iron supplement or a multivitamin containing iron after I do a blood donation?
Do you think i would have to take an iron supplement or a multivitamin containing iron after I do a blood donation?
Satisfaction: You get the satisfaction of helping another person without having to be paid for it. I think that is something you cannot buy. We don't have enough people donating blood to meet the need. Way to go. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- How long does it take to recover from tonsillitis?
- How long does it take to recover from alcohol?
- How long does it take to recover from overtraining?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- How long does it take to recover from a hysterectomy?
- How long does it take to recover from a facelift?
- How long does it take to recover from pyelonephritis?
- How long does it take to recover from myocarditis?
- Talk to a transfusion specialist online for free