Doctor insights on:
How Long Does It Take For Food To Pass Through The Digestive System
What could cause food to pass through the digestive system in 3-4hours usually with a greenish or yellow/orange color looking partly undigested?
"Cure" for diarrhea: First define the problem (do you have soft or frequent stool?), circumstances under which diarrhea developed (malabsorption, pancreatic maldigestion, food intolerances, stressful times, exposure to ill individuals, food poisoning, ischemic gut, inflammatory colitis, etc.), severity (stool volume, dehydration, blood, night-time awakening, weight loss), ; duration. The "cure" depends on diagnosis. ...Read more
Variable: Amount of time between eating food and processing entirely to defecation varies between people a lot. It takes 6-8 hours for food to through stomach and small intestine. From there it goes to large intestine for more digestion, absorption of water, and then elimination of waste. Studies have shown between 33 - 53 hours total. Kids might be faster than adults -- and medications can affect it too. ...Read more
About 24 Hours: Food is broken down by chewing & digestive enzymes in mouth & swallowed down esophagus to stomach where more enzymes & acid chemically break it down further. Passing into the 40 feet long small intestine where bile from the liver neutralizes acid & breaks up fats. Pancreatic enzymes break down starches. The remaining waste has water resorbed & is eliminated as stool. It takes about 24 hours. ...Read more
How long does it take the digestive system to fully adjust after a cholecystectomy? Is it normal to have some gas and loose stools 6 weeks post op?
Yes : That wouldn't be uncommon, and different people have different adjustment times. It is also normal to occasionally have gas and occasional looses stools even of you haven't had an operation. If you're really worried something is wrong, check with your surgeon. ...Read more
Following a meal,: Transit time through the small intestine is anywhere from 45 minute to 90 minutes; then transit time through the colon normally is 24-36 hours. This will vary from patient to patient and relative to diet and other conditions such as prior abdominal surgery, fluid intake, stress, meds and hydration status. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- How long does it take for food to go through the digestive system?
- How long does it take for the body to absorb the nutrients in food?
- How long does it take for the food i eat to reach my breast milk?
- How long does it take for the body to process food?
- How long does it take for the epidural injection to get out of the system?
- How long does it take for oxycodone to get out of your system?
- How long does it take for cuts on the face to heal?
- How long does it take for melatonin to leave your system?
- Talk to a colorectal surgeon online for free