Doctor insights on:
How Long Does It Take For Conjunctivitis To Clear Up
Usually: A week or so.Get a more detailed answer ›
Conjunctivitis is an inflammation of the thin mucous membrane that lines the front surface of the eyeball and the inside of the eyelids. As the inflammation increases, it causes the tiny blood vessels in the conjunctiva to dilate, thus leading to a redness of the eye. Depending on the cause of the conjunctitis there can also be itching, irritation, and discharge ...Read more
Depends on cause!: Conjuctivitis can be allergy related, infectious (viral or chlamydial), or autoimmune (associated with a number of types of arthritis), such as spondylitis. The allergic one can be treated with histamine blockers and singulair (montelukast). Viral goes away in short order. Doxycyline or zithromax for chlamydia. The arthritis will last the longest and requires treatment of the underlying disease. ...Read more
If you are exposed to someone with symptoms of conjunctivitis, how long does it take to show up in you?
Within a few daqys.: Both viral and chlamydial conjuctivitis appear in 3-4 days. ...Read more
Usually 1 - 2 days: Usually 1-2 days if the patient is being treated with antibiotic drops for a bacterial conjunctivitis. Often however the conjunctivitis is from a virus which does not respond to antibiotics (because it is a virus). If that is the case conjunctivitis may last a week. If not getting better go back to doc or see an eye specialist. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- How long does it take for thrush to clear up?
- How long does it take thrush to clear up?
- How long does it take for eczema to clear up?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- How long does it take for pneumonia to clear up?
- How long does it take for acne to clear up?
- How long does it take for a uti to clear up?
- How long does it take for chlamydia to clear up?
- Talk to a urgent care specialist online for free