Doctor insights on:
How Long Does It Take Colon Cancer To Develop
Final few yards of your intestine, between the terminal ileum (small bowell) and rectum. It squeezes water and solidifies waste to stool. It is subject to outpouching (divertics) polyps, and these can become cancers. The cells are abnormal, invade into the muscle and travel ...Read more
How long does colon cancer take to develop from stage to stage? How long have you had it by the time you can see it?
Stage 1-4: There are guidelines that we follow. Is not about how long it takes. Is about doing ct of chest, abd-pelvis every 2-3 months, doing cea levels, deciding on the chemotherapy needs, or radiation, or surgery, etc . Rule of thumb, oncologists do survellance every 3 months. Treat based on the stage and condition of patient. ...Read moreGet help from a doctor now ›
Years....we think.: Every individual tumor is different. The "teaching" is it takes 5 years for a polyp to undergo malignant change (turn into cancer) from there, it depends on location, age and many other factors we don't yet understand. Colon cancer can be indolent (slow growing) or aggressive. It depends on the individual cancer, and everyone is different. ...Read moreGet help from a doctor now ›
Varies. ~10yrs: In general, we think about 10 years. Hence the "standard" colon screening recommendation (by colonoscopy) of every 10 years if the colon is well prepped and without pre-cancerous polyps. Colon cancer can grow faster especially in some familial syndromes. Individuals with polyps may and likely do need more frequent followup. Recs individualized by the GI physician. ...Read moreGet help from a doctor now ›
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- How long does it take colon cancer to develop and spread?
- How long does it take for stage 4 colon cancer to develop?
- How long does it take esophageal cancer to develop?
- How long does it take for throat cancer to develop?
- How long does it take for ovarian cancer to develop?
- How long does it take for mouth cancer to develop from chewing tobacco?
- How long does it take for kidney cancer to develop?
- How long does it take for oral cancer to develop?
- Talk to a oncologist online for free