Doctor insights on:
How Long Does It Take A Hand Sprain To Heal
It depends: Sprained joints in the fingers take several months to get well. However, you need an x-ray and examination by an experienced healthcare provider to confirm that it is a simple sprain and not a fracture or significant ligament injury. Many injuries can be missed, leading to worse outcomes. I had a sprained joint in my left ring finger from basketball and it took about 6 months to fully resolve. ...Read more
Concern for fracture: Following on an outstretched wrist is the most common mechanism for fracture of the scaphoid bone. If initial swelling has resolved but you are still having pain, x-rays are suggested. It is important not to miss this fracture early. Long-term problems can develop with an occult scaphoid fracture. ...Read more
Yes: A hand sprain can cause pain up the arm if the muscles that control the wrist are involved with the injury. The muscles that control the wrist originate at the elbow. However, pain that shoots up the arm can be a sign of other conditions such as fracture, so it is important to consult your physician. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
A lot: A sprain is an injury of the tendons or ligaments. A fracture is a broken bone. Both can be a serious problem even requiring surgical treatment. Others may require only splinting or casting and others may not require anything except time and restricted activities in order to heal. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- How long does it take a shoulder sprain to heal?
- How long does it typically take a deep bone bruise to the hand to heal?
- How long does it take a wrist sprain to heal?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- How long does it take for a foot sprain to heal?
- How long does it take for a broken hand to heal with surgery?
- How long does it take a bad sprain in your back to heal?
- How long does it take a bruised hand nerve to heal?
- Talk to a hand surgeon online for free