Doctor insights on:
How Long Does Hoarseness Associated With Pertussis Last
Well, it can't...: ...Last longer than a few minutes, because death occurs after that. ...Read more
Hoarseness is having difficulty producing sound when trying to speak, or a change in the pitch or quality of the voice. The voice may sound weak, very breathy, scratchy, or husky. Hoarseness is usually caused by a problem in the vocal cords. Most cases of hoarseness occur with swelling (inflammation) ...Read more
1-3 weeks: Actually 5-21 days.Get a more detailed answer ›
5 days: Once a baby has been diagnosed with pertussis, the normal treatment is Azithromycin (zithromax). One is considered contagious until one completes the 5-day course. After that your baby will not be contagious, even if he/she is still coughing. The cough can go on for awhile. Hopefully this was not because of missing vaccinations, which are quite effective at preventing pertussis in children. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
My ob said today I should not let any adult around my newborn who did not have pertussis vaccine. Agree? How long before baby protected? 2mos? 4?
Clarification: Centers for disease control recommends that mothers recieve tdap between 26-37 weeks pregnancy and that all household contacts- parents, siblings, grandparents and babysitters are immunized. Your infant has maximum protection after their booster shot (4th shot in series). It is estimated that household members account for 80% of infant pertussis infections. Flu shots for family members also wise. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
2w w/cold symptoms but cough has lingered & my ribs hurt. Tingly sensation on chest. Scared of pertussis vaccinated last year & mom to 6mo vacc baby.
Prob not pertussis: both of u being vaccinated recently make pertussis less likely. Good idea 2 b careful of any illnesses around ur baby though. all family members should b vaccinated against flu and pertussis. With ur symptoms, I would see a doctor to see if u have pneumonia, bronchitis, etc. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- How long does hoarseness associated with the flu last?
- How long does hoarseness associated with croup last?
- How long does hoarseness associated with hand foot mouth last?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- How long does hoarseness associated with aspirated foreign body last?
- How long does vomiting associated with pertussis last?
- How long does fever associated with strep throat last?
- How long does diarrhea associated with common cold last?
- Talk to a pediatrician online