Doctor insights on:
How Long Does Food Poisoning Take
6-72 hours: It depends on the infection but at least 6 hours and generally less than 48 (but not always). ...Read more
Variable: There are different types of food poisoning - some are caused by viral illness, some by bacteria, and others from exotoxins produced by bacteria. Symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, stomach cramping and diarrhea may occur within minutes to a day or two. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Varies: Staph food poisoning: preformed toxin (in creamy, mayonaise foods), onset 4-8 h after tainted food. Symptoms: nausea, vomiting, fever, diarrhea; lasts 24-48 hours. Scombroid poisoning (fresh tuna, grouper, snapper, etc): tasteless toxin, stable to cooking, histamine release; symptoms within 1/2-3h; flushing, palpitations, cramps, diarrhea; lasts 24-48h. Others: onset up to 5 d after exposure. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- How long does it take to develop symptoms from food poisoning?
- How long does it take food poisoning to start?
- How long does it take to get food poisoning?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- How long does food poisoning take to go away?
- How long does it take food poisoning to show?
- How long does it take if you get food poisoning?
- How long does it take for food to pass through the digestive system?
- Talk to a urgent care specialist online for free