Doctor insights on:
How Long Does Fever Associated With Intussusception Last
Intussusception is a condition where the bowel telescopes on itself. It occurs in 0.07% of infants and is most common between 4 - 9 months of age. It produces signs and symptoms of bowel blockage - Vomiting (in 81%), Bloody poos (in 61%) and abdominal pain (59%). The poos are sometimes said to look like red currant jelly. Ultrasound confirms the diagnosis. Treatment: ...Read more
Less than a week: Depends on how severe the intussusception was. Usually after successful radiographic reduction, blood in the stool should resolve within a week. If there is persistent lower GI bleeding, then need to consider other causes (eg polyps, meckel diverticulum, etc) that could account for both problems. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
My 3.5 yr old had surgery for intussusception last month. He has complained 3x tonight of tummy pain and it woke him up once. Should i be concerned ?
Yes: Intussusceptions occur all the time and resolve spontaneously. It occurs commonly in babies under 1 year of age. Rarely is there a cause. In older patients, when it occurs and does not resolve on its own, there is usually a cause and will need operative intervention. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Barium enema: Intussusception is when the small intestine telescopes into the large intestine. It can cause pain, cramping, lethargy, and bloody stools. A barium or air contrast enema administered in a hospital can often reduce it and avoid surgery. This works about 75% of the time. In some instances surgery is needed to reduce the defect and in rare instances a bowel resection may be required. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- How long does diarrhea associated with intussusception last?
- Decreased appetite and intussusception
- How long does decreased sleep associated with intussusception last?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- How long does fever associated with listeria last?
- How long does fever associated with cytomegalovirus last?
- How long does fever associated with pyelonephritis last?
- How long does fever associated with dehydration last?
- Talk to a urgent care specialist online for free