Doctor insights on:
How Long Does Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Stay Bound To Hemoglobin
Toxic ingestion (also called "poisoning") is a condition in which a person has eaten or drank a substance that causes ill symptoms or damage to his body. Taking an overdose of a medicine, taking any dose of a poison, drinking too much vodka, or accidentally drinking antifreeze. . . are all ...Read more
Likely none: Carbon monoxide acts by keeping red blood cells from picking up oxygen so it hurts you by starving the body for oxygen. Once the co separates off the red cell it starts working again and theprocess stops. It the lack of oxygen was severe enough to cause damage to parts of the body it will take time for that to be repaired, but otherwise there shouldn't be long-term problems. ...Read more
Depends: We are all exposed to this on occasion. The material that attaches to our blood from low level exposure will cause vague symptoms but no permanent damage & will eventually be eliminated. When it does reach the level that causes death to brain cells or heart muscle it can cause irreversible damage to both. If sustained, the gas replaces so much oxygen that the body dies of lack of oxygen. ...Read more
Depends: The duration of symptoms depends on the concentration of carbon monoxide in the blood stream, the duration of exposure and how quickly you are removed from the carbon monoxide environment. ...Read more
Depends on severity: Mild or moderate symptoms can last from less than an hour to many hours, depending on the severity of the carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning, the type of treatment, the victim's other health issues, etc... Studies show the half-life of carboxyhemoglobin (CO bound to hemoglobin) to be about 4 hours (3-5 hr) when breathing regular air, and about 1 hour (30-90 minutes) when breathing 100% oxygen. ...Read more
Not long: Carbon monoxide has a high affinity to the hemoglobin molecule, not allowing the oxygen molecules to bind. Exactly how long before one gets carbon monoxide poisoning depends on many factors including the health of the individual exposed and the concentration of the carbon monoxide. Avoid exposure by never burning anything inside a house (bbq, etc.). ...Read more
Typically not: While this is possible, proper ventilation and maintenance should prevent carbon monoxide from forming and building up. A home carbon monoxide detector can help make sure you are not in danger. ...Read more
Unlikely: But chronic carbon monoxide exposure needs urgent correction and reversal due to risk of injury to cognitive brain function, and potential of Parkinson's disease-like problems. ...Read more
Could I still die from carbon monoxide poisoning with new cars that have the catalytic converters?
Hooka: It does increase carbon monoxide level in the your blood. The severity will depend on how much of the smoke you inhale, how fast and how long you hold your breath each time you take an inhalation from the water pipe. carbon monoxide poisoning has a range of severity (single digits up to fatal level of 50% or more when the person is trapped in a house on fire). ...Read more
Yes: Carbon monoxide (CO) stays tightly bound to hemoglobin, forming carboxyhemoglobin. CO comes off the hemoglobin gradually as the hours go by. Studies show carboxyhemoglobin's half-life to be about 4 hours (3-5 hr) in regular air, but about 1 hour (30-90 minutes) when breathing 100% oxygen for treatment of CO poisoning. Increased oxygen makes the CO come off the hemoglobin and leave the body sooner. ...Read more
Poor oxygen supply: Carbon dioxide causes its toxic effects by reducing the ability of the blood to carry oxygen. In areas of the brain that are affected by poor blood flow (by atherosclerosis, etc), further reducing oxygen delivery can lead to a stroke. Severe carbon monoxide poisoning can cause stroke even in healthy brain. ...Read more
Follow link: Here are all symptoms and the description http://www. Emedicinehealth. Com/carbon_monoxide_poisoning/page3_em. Htm. ...Read more
Probably not: But you don't give enough information. I would assume you have a gas stove. You give no symptoms. If you have headache, dizziness, and nausea, these are the most common symptoms. If you can improve the ventilation in the home and do not leave the stove on. Please note these symptoms are also common with other things as well. ...Read more
Possibly: Carbon monoxide (co) is formed when burning fuel for example gas, but not electric stoves. If the stove is not burning properly or not vented properly then co can build up. If you are concerned there are home co detectors that you can buy at hardware stores, which will tell you if the level is too high. ...Read more
Hard to say: The body is able to tolerate the low level exposures to CO over time with no specific hardship. Any study of its potential effects is hampered by overlapping bad habits of smokers & the inability to isolate cause/effect in a scientific study. It is well known that there are dozens of toxic chemicals released in the smoke, besides the nicotine. Over time the negative consequences of these toxins kill ...Read more
Maybe: Gas stoves could be faulty. Get your home checked for carbon monoxide levels. Detectors are available at numerous hardware stores, and by most codes, should be present in homes. Your utility company could also check the situation. ...Read more
That's easy: The major risk factor for carbon monoxide poisoning is breathing in a lot of carbon monoxide. You don't need a doctor to tell you that; yout mother can tell you that. I'm not being rude; I'm pointing out that your question doesn't require any medical knowledge or expertise. It's something anyone can look up & understand. Check the websites of the CDC & the Consumer Products Safety Commission. ...Read more
Carbon monoxide: Speak to your supervisor. Testing for the environment for carbon monoxide levels is relatively simple and could be affecting other. Carbon monoxide detectors can be installed for future monitoring. ...Read more
CO poisoning: If the furnace malfunctions it is possible that it may emit more carbon monoxide than usuall and lead toxicity. Consider having a carbon monoxide detector in the house (install one on each floor of your house). ...Read more
Yes: Low level carbon monoxide exposure can cause headaches and nausea, higher levels can result in cherry red coloring of fingertips and nail beds. Later, confusion and disorientation. ...Read more
CO poisoning: It is possible if the source of carbon monoxide is limited to one room. ...Read more
Can I get Carbon Monoxide poisoning from sitting in my running car in an open parking for an hour?
Unlikely: Carbon monoxide comes from incomplete combustion of the auto fuel and will accumulate in a closed space like a garage. The situation you describe would allow the carbon monoxide to disperse in the air and not affect you. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor online
- How long do the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning take to go away?
- Carbon monoxide poisoning
- How long to die from carbon monoxide?
- Are there natural ways to treat carbon monoxide poisoning?
- What are the best home remedies for carbon monoxide poisoning?
- How long does tramadol stay in?
- How long does clarithromycin stay?
- How long does tramadol stay?
- Long term effects of carbon monoxide poisoning to the kidneys