Doctor insights on:
Quadruple Heart Bypass
Depend: Your rehabilitation program after discharge from hospital will last 3 to 4 weeks. There, education and follow up on how to take care of yourself will happen. Wound care, diet, medications, driving, activities, exercises, sex, etc. Family support extremely important. Short term memory and cognitive difficulties can happen earlier. May be even depression. Every person heal different. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
My grandpa is having septuple bypass heart surgery tomorrow morning. How long does this usually take? And is this a fairly basic surgery? Low risk?
Weeks to Months: You will be home usually within a week but rehabilitation is a big part of recovery and it will take several more weeks before you feel 100%. The sternotomy will be sore until it fully heals. In addition, if you had a vein harvest from the legs, it takes several weeks for these wounds to heal. Overall it takes a month or two before you feel fully recovered. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Many things: The most concerning complications are stroke, kidney failure, pneumonia, bleeding and infection. These are rare. The most common complications are irregular heart rhythm, constipation and fluid retention. The vast majority of patients (98%) have minimal self limiting complications, go home in three days, and are driving and back to work (not strenuous) in 3-4 weeks. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
It can be: Immediately and up to a month or so, most patients will describe sternal pain but it is typically resolving. Pain may also be due to a rib fracture or an intercostal nerve, this takes longer to resolve. Any pain that resembles the "angina" pain prior to surgery or simply does not go away or gets worse should be relayed to the doctor and investigated as to the cause. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- How long on average does it take to do a heart bypass surgery?
- How long does a heart bypass operation take?
- How long does it take to recover from triple bypass heart surgery?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- How long does it take for a heart to become enlarged?
- How long does a triple bypass surgery take?
- How long does it take to recover from a heart attack?
- How long does a heart stress test take?
- Talk to a cardiologist online