Doctor insights on:
How Long Do You Have To Fast For A Hemoglobin A1c Test
Short answer: The test measures indirectly measures glucose control over the preceding 6-8 weeks. It does not measure sugar directly; therefore i would believe it not to be necessary to fast prior to the test. However, the best way to answer this question is to call the lab where you go to have the blood drawn and ask them directly whether you need to fast for the test. ...Read more
Poor: Hba1c is fair at detecting chronically high bgs, but very poor at detecting low bgs. Fortunately, true low bgs are very rare and almost never sustained or recurrent. The sensation of "hypoglycemia", when related to sugar at all in people not treated with diabetes medications, is usually the normal response to low-ish sugars, which corrects them and keeps the body well. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Probably not...: Your body has an incredible ability to regulate blood sugar levels and when this ability is intact, excess carbs will be converted and stored as fat, thus should not raise your a1c. Once the ability is diseased, the excess carbs/sugar stay as sugar, thus higher blood sugar in diabetic, and will raise your a1c over time. Moderation is key. Live a well-balance life. Live long. Consult doc. Good luck. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Poor sugar control: Hemoglobin A1c measures average blood sugar over approximately the past 3 months. It is the measure of how much hemoglobin is attached to sugar molecules in the blood. Sugar in your blood binds to the hemoglobin of the red blood cell and stays there throughout the cell's lifetime (120 days). At high levels of blood sugar, more reacts w/ the hemoglobin, causing an elevated hemoglobin a1c. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Do you have to fast for hemoglobin a1c test?
- How long do you have to fast for cholesterol test?
- How long do you fast for a blood test?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- How long do i have to fast before taking a cholesterol test?
- How long do u have to fast for a fasting blood test?
- What is a hemoglobin a1c test?
- How long do you fast for fasting glucose test?
- Talk to a hematologist online for free