Doctor insights on:
How Long Do People With Moyamoya Disease Normally Live
In Moyamoya disease, what is meant by "intimal thickening"? Are the cells proliferating, or are they just growing larger without division?
Proliferating: They appear to be proliferating at an increased rate leading to narrowing and eventual blockage of the artery. May be an association with an abnormality in Ring Finger Protein 213 (RNF 213) gene according to what I was able to research. See link below for info on function of the gene. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/gene/57674 Hope this was helpful. Dr R ...Read more
YES: Moyamoya disease is generally a congenital disease affecting the arteries of the brain causing them to gradually occlude. Fortunately, collaterals develop to supply blood to critical areas of the brain. These vessels can be frail and are prone to bleeding - which can cause a stroke. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Is the artery wall thickening that occurs in moyamoya disease the same as the the thickening in atherosclerosis?
NO: In Moyamoya disease the inner layer of the inner layer of the carotid artery overgrows and fills the artery, eventually closing it off. But this is not like atherosclerosis where the walls of arteries are damaged, leading to deposition of cholesterol and white blood cells. Both can cause strokes, but Moyamoya is seen in younger adults or even children! An angiogram shows the difference. ...Read more
Moya Moya: Moya moya is a disorder of blood vessels that leads to poor circulation and high risk of stroke. There is not really a cure for the disease yet there are several surgical treatments that can help with the blood circulations. Medical management also remains an important option but a cure is still awaiting. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- How long do people usually live with untreated breast cancer?
- How long do you live with polycystic kidney disease?
- How long do people live with a kidney transplant?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- How long do people with down syndrome live?
- How long do people typically live after they are diagnosed with prostate cancer?
- How long do people with primary pulmonary hypertension usually live?
- How long do people with a cavernous sinus meningioma live?
- Talk to a neurosurgeon online for free