Doctor insights on:
How Long Do Allergies Usually Last
Essentially allergies occur when your immune system goes crazy and decides to has to fight against things it should be ignoring. The immune system of people without allergies simply ignores the pollen in the air or the dander on their cat while an allergic person's immune system creates cells to fight against the pollen or dander. The allergic reaction causes the ...Read more
Hard to say: Acute symptoms due to a specific exposure can last for one to two hours; less if treated immediately with antihistamines. But dust mite allergen is very common in the environment, so continued exposure throughout the night and day can cause continuous symptoms. If taking an antihistamine on a regular basis doesn't help, see your primary physician or allergist. ...Read more
Varies: If you are asking about side effects from allergy medicine (?Drowsiness), it can vary according to the medicine you took, the dose and how your body handles it. Since many allergy medicines are taken once a day, it could take a day or so for the effects to wear off. ...Read more
24 hours or less: Claritin, and its generic form - Loratadine - generally lasts about 17 hours. Thus, taking it in the morning (which is safe to do as it is non-drowsy) should get you through the majority of the day. If it does not, talk to your doctor about adding a topical nasal steroid spray. ...Read more
Unpredictable: Most infants outgrow milk protein allergy by the age of 2 years--more importantly, about 80% of children will outgrow allergy to milk by the age of 5. See an allergist for appropriate testing and recommendations on when to reintroduce milk into your child's diet. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
See 1 more doctor answer
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- How long do muscle spasms usually last?
- How long do chigger bites usually last?
- How long do heart palpitations usually last?
- How long do food allergy symptoms last?
- How long do cases of brucellosis usually last?
- How long do the runny nose and watery eyes from allergy normally last?
- How long does an alavert allergy usually last?
- How long do migraines usually last?
- Talk to an allergist and immunologist online for free