Doctor insights on:
How Long Can You Have Chlamydia Before Infertility
Chlamydia is a curable sexually transmitted infection that is caused by the bacteria chlamydia trachomatis. This bacteria infects mucous membranes of the urethra, vagina, cervix, anus, rectum, eyelid, and throat. Chlamydia may be asymptomatic but some patients experience pain or burning during urination, nausea, fever, vaginal discharge, ...Read more
If someone has chlamydia and gets an abortion is there a risk of being left infirtile? If so is there anything that can be done to prevent it?
It differs: There is no definitive time period associated with infertility from infections, but generally it is with chronic infections that continue to occur and affect a persons fertility over quite some time (many months to years). It is rare for a few infections, adequately treated to cause fertility issues. This does however underscore the importance to always practice safe sex. Best wishes. ...Read more
Chlamydia Testing: Prevention and annual gc/chlamydia screening are important consideration for any sexually active woman wanting to preserve fertility. The majority of women I see with blocked fallopian tubes never were aware that they had a prior infection as evidenced by blood testing for antibodies. ...Read more
Not long at all.: Tubal damage can be severe when a woman has smoldering chlamydial infection in her genital tract and lead to infertility due to tubal occlusion/malfunction. This used to be a cause for permanent sterility, but not anymore; art (assisted reproduction technology) advances now pretty much guarantee that women with these problems can get pregnant and have healthy babies with ivf tubal bypass. ...Read more
Not long!: Tubal damage can be severe when a woman has smoldering chlamydial infection in her genital tract and lead to infertility due to tubal occlusion/malfunction. This used to be a cause for permanent sterility, but not anymore; art (assisted reproduction technology) advances now pretty much guarantee that women with these problems can get pregnant and have healthy babies with ivf tubal bypass. ...Read more
Not known exactly: Can't say exactly.Get a more detailed answer ›
Chlamydia: This question must be reviwed by your gyn doc or primary care physician. ...Read more
Varies: Even with one episode of chlamydia one can damage the fallopian tubes. That damage can occur all at once immediately during the infection or can get worse over time. In reality most women with chlamydia never even know it and it causes no symptoms. There most severe the infection the greater the chance of damage to fallopian tubes an infertility. ...Read more
Concerning: Chlamydia is a very common cause of infertility, specifically due to tubal damage and pelvic scar tissue. Your partner needs to be treated as well. If not he will just give it back to you. Wearing condoms every time for intercourse is highly recommended. In the future if you have any trouble conceiving, you should have a hysterosalpingogram (HSG) test to check the status of your tubes. ...Read more
How long does it take for chlamydia to cause infertility, I have had it since august and it is now november?
Unpredictable: You are correct that chlamydia can cause infertility by scarring down the fallopian tubes. In most cases though it will not. Which cases will cause infertility and which will not is unpredictable. The key is to take care of yourself, get treated and protect yourself to avoid catching it again in the future. ...Read more
I got treated chlamydia a while ago & realized I had it for about 3 or 4 months at most. Having it that long, could it have caused infertility?
Can you become infertile no matter how long you have had chlamydia? I'm sending off a test and I'm worried incase I have this and can't have children.
Yes: Chlamydia can cause infertility and unfortunately can be present for long periods of time without symptoms. A study we once did showed that 28% of women under age 25 had chlamydia and were unaware. The chance of infertility with chlamydia infection is approximately 30%. On the other hand, the chance that you are ok is 70%. ...Read more
Tested positive for chlamydia. How long does it have to stay in the body before it causes infertility? Didn't have any symptoms. Had only 1 partner.
Unlikely: It usually only causes infertlity as a result of pelvic inflammatory disease or salpingitis. Both situations where you would have symptoms. If you didn't you should be fine. Please use condoms and insist on it. ...Read more
I just found out I have chlamydia, the doctors desribed symptoms to me that I have had for a long time. They also said that having chlamydia so long can lead to infertility. ..Is that a possibility?
It is possible: This infection can damage reproductive organs. Even though symptoms of chlamydia are usually mild or absent, serious complications that cause irreversible damage, including infertility, can occur "silently" before a woman ever recognizes a problem. Get treated and talk to your doctor. ...Read more
Do women usually have successful pregnancies after a chlamydia infection or do you always become infertile if not treated for a long time?
SOME DO: Chlamydia may enter the female genital tract and cause injury & scaring to the sensitive fallopian tubes or worse. If an infection is detected prior to damage & treated effectively, the problems can be minimized and natural pregnancy can occur. With todays tech a willing couple can harvest eggs, fertalize & implant embryos, bypassing the tubes. Expensive but possible ...Read more
Chlamydia +, I have this bacteria for a long time, I didn't have any sexual activity for more than 8-9 months. Can it lead to infertility? I'm 23.
Yes: If chlamydia enters your Fallopian tubes and causes inflammation there, they may become blocked or otherwise unable to support normal reproduction. This can happen early, late or not at all when you become infected. You can also carry this germ without symptoms for prolonged periods, passing them to any partner. ...Read more
Untreated gonorrhea and chlamydia can lead to complications in women such as infertility, can a month be long enough to cause that damage? Apt coming
Is it possible to have chlamydia for years without symptoms? Also, how long before it can cause infertility? A pap smear won't detect the std, right?
I have STD I don't know for how long I had it I have chlamydia can I treat it in time? I want to be able to have babies can the STD cause me infertility. I really want a baby in the future. When I pee it hurts and it itches a lot I hate having that itch.
Chlamydia: Chlamydia can only be cured with a prescription antibiotic, so you do need to see a doctor - and the sooner the better! Many people who have chlamydia are also infected with other sexually transmitted diseases such as gonorrhea, so testing is very important for proper treatment. You may need multiple medications if you have multiple infections. If you are a woman and do not get tested and treated in a timely manner, the infection can spread to your uterus and fallopian tubes (called pelvic inflammatory disease) and can lead to severe illness and/or infertility. I've attached a website below with more information. Good luck! ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor online
- How long can you have chlamydia before you know it?
- How long can you have chlamydia without knowing?
- How long does it take for chlamydia to make you infertile?
- How long can you have hiv before symptoms?
- How long can you have sepsis infection before symptoms begin?
- How long can you have c diff before diagnosis?
- How long before you can t have an abortion?
- How can you tell if you have chlamydia?
- How long can you have chlamydia before it causes pelvic inflammatory disease?