Doctor insights on:
How Long Can The Heart Stop Before You Get Brain Damage
Anything that disrupts tissue integrity can cause brain damage: lack of or reduced oxygen (stroke), viamin deficiency, pressure (hydrocephalus, or, bleeding or tumor inside the skull), blunt or penetrating trauma; infection; inflammation (immune system mediated or otherwise); toxins (alcohol, ecstasy, lead, mercury, arsenic, to name but a few); diseases (ms, diabetes, ...Read more
Possibly: Any time your heart stops pumping, the blood in your arteries and veins stops flowing. Therefore all of the organs are not getting the blood they need to function. The brain is a very sensitive organ and can get damaged if it is not receiving proper blood flow. There are ways to check the brain for such damage. Talk to your doctor about seeing a neurologist. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Could a pacemaker keep an individuals heart beating after a cardiac arrest. If the answer to the above question is yes, then how long would it continue to assist the heart in beating and would it help to prevent brain damage until medical help arrives.
Maybe: This depends on the length of time the brain was without blood flow, and the situation after the person was revived. In fact now many patients after CPR can be treated with hypothermia, which involves cooling the body slightly while the patient is sedated, (roughly to a temp of 93 degrees f) for about 24 hrs, this lowers the risk of brain damage in many cases. Many other factors involved however. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Brain Damage: Yes.Get a more detailed answer ›
Brain injury is a condition in which the brain is damaged due to an injury. Brain injury often results when the head violently and suddenly hits an object or when an object deeply pierces the head. The symptoms of brain injury vary from mild to severe depending on how much the ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- How long can you wait before getting an abortion?
- How long after the depo-provera shot can you get pregnant?
- How long can you stop breathing before you become unconscious?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- How long can you keep fresh fish in the fridge before you eat it?
- How long before you can get tested for hiv?
- How long can you wait before you get an abortion?
- How long after shingles can you get the vaccine?
- Talk to a neurologist online