Doctor insights on:
How Long Can It Take A Dislocated Shoulder To Get Better
A glenohumeral dislocation occurs when the head of humeus displaces in relationship to the glenoid fossa. Most glenohumeral dislocations occur when the humerus slips forward (anterior) on the fossa. A disocated shoulder must be reduced, & a post-reduction x-ray is necessary to check for any fractures/ ensure proper realignment. Dislocations may also cause soft tissue ...Read more
6 - 8 weeks: For a first time dislocator without other issues (i.e. No fractures, nerve damage, or recurrent shoulder subluxations on x-rays) you are typically in a sling for the first week or so. Then you should start range of motion and strengthening with a therapist. Most people do well and can get back to activities. But, if you still have feelings the shoulder is slipping you may need further testing. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
4-6 weeks: Unfortunately if you have 2 or 3 dislocations in the same shoulder it may be a more complicated problem you may have an underlying instability issue which may need to be addressed i would try 4-6 weeks of rest and then rehab but if it keeps happening you might need surgery. ...Read more
Highly variable: Time to healing is a result of many variables that include the actual gravity of the dislocation and degree of tissue trauma. True shoulder dislocations commonly have a major tear of the suporting anteriro capsule and ligaments from the glenoid (deep shoulder joint supporting bone). Strength and motion and confidence in shoulder function and stability need to return prior to restarting climbing. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- How long does it take for a dislocated shoulder to heal?
- How long can a dislocated shoulder take to heal?
- How long does it take for a uti to get better?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- How long does it take a shoulder sprain to heal?
- How long does it take for an inner ear infection to get better?
- How long would it take for amoxicillin to get rid of a tooth infection?
- How long does a bloodshot eye take to get better?
- Talk to a urgent care specialist online for free